Thursday, March 27, 2014

Inclusive rather than Exclusive

Pardon me while I rant about something that may or may not be true...


I just heard that some people were complaining that Emerald City Comicon has a Seahawks tribute jersey for sale. I don't know for sure if people were really complaining, I heard about it second-hand.


Honestly, if I had the money, I'd want one of these. I may try to get myself one of the t-shirts instead, partly because I like the design slightly more and partly because it's much cheaper:


Ahem. Anyway, people are apparently upset that a comicon would date to cater to sports fans, as if comic book fans cannot be sports fans as well (Go Seahawks!). This is obviously false, but it is a common problem with a lot of fans. They automatically assume that people cannot be fans of more than one thing.

There is a false attitude that Star Trek fans can't be Star Wars fans, or that Batman fans can't like Spider-Man or even Superman. It's ridiculous. It really needs to stop.

My circle of fandom gets bigger to let more people in, instead of blocking out people who don't have the same likes as I do. There is no enemy, just more people who "get it" and enjoy some aspect of the fandom. Sure, there are folks out there who don't understand, but I don't let them bother me and I welcome them to try to understand if they want.

But I'm not going to hate somebody because they think the Larsen run on Aquaman was good. I may disagree with them, but they are still fans. And I'd much rather be an inclusive fan than some sort of snooty exclusive fan.

And yes, that includes sports. Yay Seahawks! And hurrah to Emerald City Comicon for catering to all of us.

0 comments: