Saturday, August 01, 2015

Adventures with Windows 10

When I'm at home, my computer is generally near my chair and doesn't get turned off a lot. I mean, I use it then leave it sitting open... I don't tend to close the lid unless I'm moving it somewhere.

Early on in my "testing" of Windows 10, I got in the habit of never closing the lid unless I had to. I didn't really think about it, but I think I must have had a moment when I closed it and it went to sleep... then had to be rebooted to wake up. That would have put me off closing the lid, because I hate having to reboot every time I move my computer.

Well, carrying my computer around the convention means I really have to close the lid to carry it down the elevator or around the grounds. And, sure enough, every time I do it, the machine won't recover from sleep. Basically, I'm having to shut down the computer every single time I want to move it. At home, no biggie. Here at the convention? It quickly became unbearable. So I tried to figure out what's going on.

I'm still not really sure if this was my problem, but I Google'd it and found a possible solution that so far seems to have worked:

- Open Device Manager
- Click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category
- Right-click on Intel(R) HD Graphics Family and select Update Driver Software...
- Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software
- Your computer should find and automatically install the updated driver
- After the installation is complete, restart your computer

Since I did this and restarted my computer, sleep has been working as expected. However... I'm at the con and haven't had time to do any real testing of it. So my opinion and results might change in the next 24 hours. I'll update this post if they do. In the meantime, if you are having the same problem with a Windows 10 HP laptop, this is something to try.

Update: Nope. Didn't persist. It worked several times, but when I left it for more than an hour, it didn't recover from sleep. Back to the drawing board.

0 comments: