Sunday, December 18, 2016

A Sunday Review

There's really no point in apologizing on how long it's taken me to read and review these comics. My life has been... difficult... lately. Depression is a nasty, nasty thing. I have been having trouble enjoying things at all, and getting back into comics was/is both frustrating and delightful. Frustrating because at first I couldn't enjoy them at all, but slowly more and more delightful as some of the joy is coming back. With the joy will come reviews*, so here are my first reviews since October.

*Yes, I know these are short capsules and not proper reviews, more like little reactions. I perhaps will work my way up to proper reviews again someday.

DCBS
These books came from DCBS, and are sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jun 22nd
  • Aquaman #1 - I like Stubbs. Cool new character with a lot of promise. I'm hoping to see more of her in the book moving forward - maybe she can be part of the bridge between Atlantis and the rest of the world. That said, ouch. Manta is a real nasty.
  • Justice League #52 - Luther takes on the Super-mantle, blah blah. Boring. He should have just stayed on Apokolips.
  • Adventures of Supergirl #4 - Hubby-Eric located the first two issues of this series, so we were able to catch up and read it all. So far, it's a bit of a wild ride, focusing on stories that probably couldn't be easily told on the TV screen. I think the portrayal of the characters is spot on, and the art is decent. Not bad for a TV series spin-off.
  • Doctor Strange #9 - Having recently seen the Doctor Strange movie (which I enjoyed) I have to say this book continues to be odd and a bit of a befuddlement. That said, the plot is slowly slowly moving forward. Probably about as slowly as possible for a plot to crawl along and still be compelling enough to read. I suppose I'm being a bit unfair, but this has Strange picking up some last magical items, telling off his butler, and a big ol' fight starting - with several pages of people just standing around.
  • Back To The Future #9 - Marty and the amnesiac Doc find yet another way to achieve 88 MPH, and head back into the future, where Marty is immediately tagged as a terrorist. I really am enjoying this book.
  • Usagi Yojimbo #155 - Oooh, another Inspector Ishida story! What a delight! I hardly need to say much about this book. It's good, you should buy it. Always. I don't think I've ever read an issue I didn't enjoy to some extent, usually a great deal. And this issue is a nice set-up of a murder mystery involving a painting that might just be a gateway to hell. Along with a more mundane land dispute. I look forward to the rest of the story.

0 comments: