Thursday, June 08, 2017

A Hugo Review: Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form) - The Expanse: "Leviathan Wakes"

The Expanse: "Leviathan Wakes" is the season finale of a show set in the future.

Honestly, I haven't got a clue what happened in this. Ok, no... there's a couple of guys suffering from radiation poisoning trying to get to a ship, and their crew is also trying to get to the same ship. There's a whole bunch of people dying in bizarre and horrible ways. And the whole thing apparently takes place on a space station built into an asteroid or something, because they discuss digging it out. And there's a few scenes of a woman on Earth, I think, but I'm not sure what that was all about.

The good: It seemed to be well acted and nicely produced. There were a few good effects. The location/set was suitably moody and dark.

The bad: I didn't understand what was going on because this was the finale, and even the "previously" scenes didn't give enough context to know what was happening. I read a couple of online summaries of the show after watching it and I still don't know what happened. The words 'confusing' and 'convoluted' spring to mind.

Conclusion: Perhaps if I had the time and energy to watch this from the beginning, I would like it more. As it stands, though, this is the last item on my ballot.

My ballot will have Black Mirror at the top, although both Game of Thrones: "Battle of the Bastards" and Splendor & Misery gave it a run for the money. I'm not sure which order I'll put those in, but they will be next. Doctor Who gets the fourth spot on my ballot and Game of Thrones: "The Door" will have the fifth spot. The Expanse will take up the rear.

Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form): I've watched or listened to all the entries. Check out my Reviews of 2017 Hugo Finalists for more of my thoughts.

0 comments: