Friday, June 02, 2017

A Hugo Review: Best Graphic Story - Black Panther, Volume 1: A Nation Under Our Feet

Black Panther, Volume 1: A Nation Under Our Feet is about Black Panther attempting to get control of his nation.

What did I just read? Even though this is a volume 1, there is so much backstory hinted at that it was next to impossible for me to figure out exactly what was going on. While much could be gleaned from context, I didn't really enjoy reading it because I felt like I was coming in on a third act and missed all the important bits.

The good: Lovely artwork, and the story attempts to give enough context to work out what's happening.

The bad: I have no interest at all in these characters. No investment, nothing tugged at my heartstrings, nothing pulled me toward them. And with so much happening, the only reason I would continue to read it is if I felt an investment. But I'm not even introduced to the main character properly. I just bounced off this completely because there was nothing at all for me to look at and say, "I wonder what will happen next?"

Conclusion: Perhaps if I'd read more of this book in the past, or knew more about the Marvel Universe, this might have interested me. But I couldn't get into this one.

Best Graphic Story: I've read Ms. Marvel, The Vision, Black Panther, and Saga. I need to read Monstress and Paper Girls.

0 comments: