Sunday, July 16, 2017

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Feb 1st
  • Aquaman #16 - I like seeing Aquaman getting his people involved in the clean-up after the terrorist attacks. If nothing else, it will get his own people used to thinking of the surfacers as people like themselves. This was a transition issue - there's a new villain being introduced while the impact of the previous storyline is explored. Not bad, for what it is.
  • Justice League #14 - Wow, this was a talking issue. I means, there's a tiny bit of action, but the giant fight that is being built up is actually skipped entirely! Brave choice, there. A bit surprising. I liked that the elephant in the room was discussed as they waited to recharge - elephants. Enough of them to make a herd or two. The implication is that they've now had it all out and will adjust and be a team. I'm not sure, personally, as team conflict is one of the drivers of modern superhero comic books. Still, a very odd issue.
  • Green Lanterns #16 - Ah, the gun. Yes, that would be an issue in that particular place. I found it a little strange all around, considering that it's something that is an essential aspect of the character and his flaws at the moment, that Commissioner Gordon was the one who made a fuss about it. Still, the whole storyline here has the potential to resolve the gun thing, and that's all good in my opinion.
  • DC Comics Bombshells #22 - I'm not sure how interested I am in the Zambesi storyline here, but this is where we are, so I'll keep reading. I'm afraid I can't tell some of the characters apart, which annoys me - it's less because of the way they are drawn and more because I just haven't internalized which is which. And, is it just me or does everyone seem to have red hair?
  • Super Powers #4 - It's a bit of an Aqua-issue, as Mera and Aquaman arrive to take on the Legion of Doom... with a little help. This story is making more sense as it goes along, but it's still pretty nonsensical. Not a bad thing with this type of book.
  • Planet of the Apes/Green Lanterns #1 - I'm not a big Planet of the Apes fan, but hubby is a big enough Green Lantern fan that we got this. The ring in this issue appears to be exactly the same thing as the Phantom Ring from Green Lanterns, only it doesn't look like it. I wonder if that will be addressed at all in this series and if not, who in editorial let this happen? In any case, I'm really happy with who ended up wielding the ring. Heh.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #20 - This is pretty much an entire episode about Tempest. I feel like anything I write would be a spoiler (I know, silly for a book that's been out for months). But not much happens here if you write it out: Mig learns that Tempest is awake and pregnant, and Tempest makes an informed choice to trust Tyler Stone. Oh, and a fight happens, but isn't there always a fight?
  • Back To The Future #16 - A surprisingly substantial issue. A lot happens to get from point A to point B, but each piece fits with each other piece. I liked the Doc's plan, such as it was, to save them from the past - we already know things can change in this universe. As for the future, well, I'm not sure how the bad guy's plan is going to work. There must be a twist in here somewhere.
  • Doctor Who 12th #2.14 - Oh, I just love when stories bend back upon themselves. In this case, two comic book creators whose work is based on legends of The Doctor get an unexpected trip in the TARDIS. All of which goes fine until it doesn't, which is sort of how Doctor Who works, I would think. The knock-off Doctor is amusing, the comic creators are strange, and all told it's an odd adventure. I'm curious to see how the story ends.
  • Vampirella #0 - We bought this because of the price (25 cents) and the writer (Paul Cornell), because normally I wouldn't bother with this character. As expected, an interesting prologue to a greater story of some sort. Certainly worth the price for the fun bit of story.
  • Feb 8th
  • Titans #8 - Oh my, are we getting the introduction of HIVE here? I'm not sure, but there's some fun stuff about to happen as the team bursts in on ... well, whatever it is they are bursting in on. Even more interesting is Mal's choice, though. I wonder if it will be permanent, and what the ramifications will be going forward?
  • Earth 2 Society #21 - This definitely seems to be winding up. Batman being as heroic as a Batman must be while everyone else fights the big fight. I just don't see how it's all going to tie up and finish. I think the next issue is the last, though.
  • Scooby Apocalypse #10 - Ok, while I knew it had to be a dream, I didn't know who was dreaming until the end. Given the events of the previous issue, it should have been clear. In addition, once one of the characters was introduced as Velma's brother - well, only one person knows the connection between the Four and Velma. This doesn't move the story forward much, but it does provide some insight into Velma's state of mind.
  • Doctor Who 11th #3.2 - A Silence so good at what he does that even other Silence cannot remember him (I guess that answers that question about them). An infection spread by a sapling child. And lots of memories being stolen/shared. This is the conclusion of one storyline, yes, and a farewell to Jones - but it's also a set up done well for a new set of adventures with one potentially very sticky (bad pun intended) problem.
  • Torchwood #1 - I still don't know what's happening in this book, but I decided to just let it go and try to enjoy the ride. Clearly there's a mental process behind the plotting I don't get - so maybe if I read it long enough it'll pull together. I'm enjoying the individual set pieces, which is good, I just can't figure out how everything fits.
  • Spongebob Comics #65 - As a person who has done the camping thing, learning all the lessons required to not die on a real hike, I feel for Sandy. She really should know better than to worry about Patrick and SpongeBob, though. The Plankton story was very strange, as was the switching roles tale. At least Mermaid Man made an appearance on the back cover. Fun as usual (so if you don't like the usual humor in the cartoon, avoid the book).

0 comments: