Sunday, January 27, 2019

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Apr 25th
  • Three and a half StarfishMera: Queen of Atlantis #3 - It's interesting to see Orm and Mera chatting without trying to kill each other. Also to see them trying to explain royal duty, pounded into them from birth. I feel like Orm's attempt to become a drylander may be doomed, but I hope I'm wrong. I like Erin and Tommy. And it would be fascinating if Erin has more children (which is possible now, since they've been living together for awhile). Good art, progress on the story, I like it.
  • Two and a half StarfishTeen Titans #19 - The ending of this storyline was rather abrupt... so there is a hack and it's done? And not even obviously - Robin has to tell us. I'm not terribly impressed by the finish, although the story and concept had promise. I think this might be the last issue of this book we bought because of a distinct lack of Aqualad in future issues. It was... eh, an ok series.
  • Three StarfishTitans Annual #2 - Yeah, that was a good ending to an intense story that took way too long to develop. I liked Mallah's part in this one. I'm not sure what to think of the development of the Titans, but Mallah was fun.
  • Two and a half StarfishBatman Beyond #19 - Dana really has a point in this one, even though Bruce just sent the kid to blow up a couple of power sources. Doesn't he have a handy drone that he could have used to do the same thing, and thus not put Matt in danger? I'm a little confused and distressed by the direction of this book. I'm not sure what I expect from it anymore.
  • Four StarfishScooby-Doo Team-Up #37 - This feels like a classic Silver Age (or even Golden Age) tale, complete with hiding a secret identity and a tiny piece of Kryptonite. Fun stuff!
  • Two StarfishDoctor Strange #389 - The dog is still the most interesting thing about this book. And the dog isn't even alive. Maybe this crossover is done and we'll get actual stories now?
  • Three StarfishPrisoner #1 - I've never been much of a fan of the tv show. I'm a bit too straightforward in my plotting and thinking to enjoy something that never makes sense on purpose. But this is an slightly different take, with sort of a reason behind everything that's happening. Yeah, I'm curious to see what happens next.
  • Three StarfishForever Free #1 - This is an adaptation of a book I've never read. I was confused at first, because it started before the end of the war - then I realized it was from the other character's point of view. Interesting, and no burden of my history with the story to interfere with my enjoyment of the book as just a book.

  • May 2nd
  • Four StarfishGreen Lanterns #46 - We get to the heart of the matter in this issue, and it was nicely done. We saw what happened to Jessica's friends on that hunting trip and, through Simon, we learned what the alien lawyer is doing to Jessica via her memories. This story shaped up nicely and I'm actually eager to read the next issue. That's a good thing.
  • Two StarfishBombshells United #17 - This feels like, "let's throw everything in the pot, turn up the heat, and see what happens." I'm not even interested in most of the characters or what happens to them now.

  • May 9th
  • Three and a half StarfishScooby Apocalypse #25 - Well, *that* was a shocker. And a very interesting way to present it, as well. I know this series isn't going to go on forever, but this development changes what little future it has. Wow.
  • Three StarfishSpongeBob Comics #80 - Well, there was a sort-of Mermaid Man appearance, but it was... surreal. In fact, this was a pretty surreal issue all over.
  • Two and a half StarfishBack To The Future: Tales from the Time Train #5 - Chaos, a little more chaos, and then, just to be sure, some more chaos on top. Along with a mystery person who has ALL the dogs. I'm mildly interested in finding out who the mystery person is (although I have a guess) but otherwise I'm not that interested.

0 comments: