Sunday, February 03, 2019

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • May 16th
  • Three and a half StarfishAquaman #36 - Murk's "acting" was a nice bit of humor in an otherwise very grim issue. The double-cliffhanger was quite nice, as well. I'm very tired of Rath and am looking forward to the day this storyline ends, but at least this wasn't a bad edition of it.
  • Three StarfishGreen Lanterns #47 - So Jessica sorts out her issues, fixes her problems (with the help of Constantine, even) and... let's just say I really don't like that cliffhanger. I like the Jessica story, even though it took too long to tell, but I can tell I'm not going to like the next few issues.
  • Two and a half StarfishBombshells United #18 - Well, at least there was one panel of Aquawoman and Arthur in this issue. One. Single. Panel. The rest was so much stuff and nonsense. I can hardly tell who the bad guys are supposed to be any more.
  • Four and a half StarfishUsagi Yojimbo: The Hidden #3 - Oh, the beautiful timing of this issue! Every piece of the story leads to the next, and the cliffhanger is just perfect. In fact, I think I let out an audible "ARGH!" when I got to it. Just about any issue of Usagi Yojimbo is better than almost any other comic book available out there, so go find this series and read it.

  • May 23rd
  • Four StarfishMera: Queen of Atlantis #4 - Intrigue on top of intrigue on top of plans gone awry. It's going to be an interesting settling if Mera ever does take the throne. Which, by the way, is an excellent idea. It frees Aquaman up for being a superhero while keeping him solidly connected to Atlantis. So I hope this new state of affairs gets done and into place, and then becomes the status quo for awhile. A girl can dream.
  • Three StarfishBatman Beyond #20 - Well, Bruce is correct. But so is Terry. It's a bad idea, but it's also something that, once started, cannot be stopped. Now, if this book kills Robin off before it ends, I will be grumbling about it for years to come.
  • Three StarfishScooby-Doo Team-Up #38 - Bat-who? A very silly issue with some very silly bad guys and heroes. Not my most favorite of the series, no, but definitely a fun ride. I wasn't a big fan of Dyno-mutt back in the day, but he's fine here.
  • Two and a half StarfishDoctor Strange #390 - A nice, light issue with a bunch of silly jokes and a reset of the status quo. Very nice after the last few crossover nonsense issues, but very light on - well, everything.
  • Two and a half StarfishPrisoner #2 - I haven't read a real psychological mind-twist story in some time... but as I read this I realized I'm still sick of them. I just want a story, not lots of "maybe this is happening" or "this isn't real" crap. Of course, I should expect nothing else from a comic book based on this TV series. So I guess I'm already bored with it.
  • Three and a half StarfishForever Free #2 - This is incredibly grim in a lot of ways. I mean, a follow-up to a book called Forever War can't be exactly a bed of roses, but wow... that's some plan they have to escape reality. And some lengths they go to in order to make it all happen. I'm still a little iffy on the artwork, but the story is very strong.

  • May 30th
  • Three StarfishGreen Lanterns Annual #1 - This doesn't pick up with the regular storyline, and is a standalone issue. Which is a good thing. It has some massive plot issues, but overall works ok as a showcase for Jessica. Not the best annual I've read, but far from the worst.
  • Aquaman/Jabberjaw Special #1 - I'm feeling a little dazzled by this story. I mean, a talking shark and a typical cartoon band get together with Aquaman and are gratifyingly stunned when he proves to them that, yes, he IS a superhero. The whole story is, like all these crossovers, goofy to a fault. But it's also lots of fun. And I'm almost too scared to read the back-up story, featuring Captain Caveman.
  • Three StarfishSuper Sons/Dynomutt Special #1 - Fresh off a Scooby-Doo Team-Up in which Blue Falcon is apparently mind controlled comes a Super Sons team-up in which... Blue Falcon is apparently mind controlled. Only this one is SO much darker than the Scooby version. Wow. Starting with a funeral and ending with grave robbing. Very dark and disturbing on a lot of different levels.
  • Three StarfishBlack Lightning/Hong Kong Phooey Special #1 - Um, that was a trip. I don't know exactly what to think of it, in fact. This is definitely the most serious I've ever seen Hong Kong Phooey written. Black Lightning seemed a little too dismissive to me, for a guy living in a superhero universe also populated by talking animals. Otherwise, um, fun?

0 comments: