Friday, April 03, 2020

Kidney Saga part 59

Yay, another quiet day. In fact, yesterday was so quiet I took a long nap in the afternoon.

The main thing I have to report is a call from the nephrologists office. I was informed that my latest blood tests are showing that my kidney functions have improved, which hopefully means the Cytoxan is working. Now I just need to get the rest of the infusions.

I am, however, shedding. My skin is trying to catch up to my dramatic weight loss, so in addition to the hard water from our shower (that results in an annoying white dust all over the place) I am flaking dry skin a lot. Again, I do NOT recommend losing 50 pounds of weight in a month. It was not pleasant. I could mitigate this issue by getting a shower filter to eliminate the hard water in the shower and get me a bit cleaner, but that's not really in the budget at the moment. This is an annoying but tolerable problem.

A photo I took of the fire across the street showed up in the newspaper, along with a lot more information about the blaze. Now I know who makes that awful grinding sound I hear all the time during the day.

Because I was tired, I didn't attempt the stairs. Perhaps I'll have a bit more energy today. I do know that sticking to my routine has been keeping me from slumping into depression. I get up, I get dressed. I go to my computer to write. These are routine, and when I do them my mind knows I am living. Keep going, go through the motions, and eventually you pull through.

I look at the circumstances other people are in and just feel grateful I'm relatively secure at the moment. Yeah, I'm terribly worried about the finances after this nightmare ends. But right now we have a home and just barely enough money to meet our needs (with a little help from our family and friends). I feel extremely lucky, despite suffering kidney failure in the middle of a global pandemic.

Full Kidney Saga --- Kidney Wish List --- GoFundMe

0 comments: