Monday, September 22, 2003

Unbelievable

I'm ashamed of my hometown right now. Well, not my hometown, just one misguided soul in it. And it's happening on Banned Books Week even.

Seems that a girl at Renton High School (I went to Hazen High School in the same district) was offended by the racist word in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and by her teacher's attitude while teaching the book. So the book has been pulled from classrooms and libraries in the district until the issue is settled.

From the news report: Renton High School senior Calista Phair says she can't read a book that degrades her and her culture.

"It uses the n-word 215 times and the word is derogatory towards African Americans and people of color and so that's why we don't want it in schools," said Phair.

Phair says the classic about a boy and a slave and the Mississippi river has a message she appreciates. It's the language she can't stand.

"I felt actually inferior and that the teacher was somehow trying to act as if she had power over us as students and I didn't feel good at all. It made me upset, and sick," she said.

Strange. I think she's blaming the book for the actions of a teacher. And, while she claims to understand the message, it's clear that she still misses the point of why Twain used the word as often as he did in the book. On the one hand, it's a massive failure to learn. On the other hand: "I think that shows that the education system is working. I mean, what we're teaching them is to think for themselves and this is what comes of that," said Randy Matheson, director of communications with Renton Public Schools.

Me, I'm just ashamed that someone in my hometown is in favor of banning books. Perhaps Calista hasn't got enough experience to realize why that's a bad thing yet, but it is an embarrassment nonetheless. I recall reading that book in my high school class and having a lively and intelligent debate on the subject and on why the word was used so many times. An African American in the class argued persuasively that Twain wanted to emphasize the dehumanizing aspect of the word so the contrast with Jim's plight was even more pronounced.

In any case, the book is not banned from Renton School District. It's been pulled while the district figures out how to avoid this problem in the future, and at the moment that involves sensitivity training for teachers.

0 comments: