Thursday, May 20, 2004

Rapid Reviews - Angel Season One DVDs - Part IV

Angel [1-07]: Bachelor Party: One thought, and one thought only kept running through my mind as I watched this. "I wanna eat your brains!" Ok, maybe that wasn't the only thought, but once the brain-eating started, that's certainly what I was thinking of. Lisa (my little sister) and I were discussing why we like Angel so much, and besides the obvious appeal of a dark and brooding hunk like Boreanaz is the way it keeps trying to turn TV conventions on their heads. There's the whole "hero jumps into a car to go save the girl, only it's the wrong car" thing going on. You don't get exactly what you expect. In fact, you often get a lot more or less than you expect, and that adds to the appeal. Like I thought for sure that Cordelia was going to learn Doyle's secret in this episode, but there she was beating him up at the end, none the wiser. I enjoy the way this show plays with expectations. It doesn't always succeed, but it's fun to see it try. 4 starfish

Angel [1-08]: I Will Remember You: The romantic in me got all weepy at this episode. It was one of those powerful little tales. But I knew the cosmic reset button would have to be pushed in this one, I just didn't know how. I suppose it only made sense that it would be Angel himself. All those years of experience just don't go to waste. But there's one huge thing this episode says... there is a cure for vampirism. And it was fun to see Cordelia get stark raving jealous. 4 starfish

That's the first two discs in the set. Hopefully I can get through some more episodes during my pugless house stay. Watching DVDs and reading books should keep me out of trouble... ha.