Sunday, July 11, 2004

Rapid Reviews - Cool Mini Comics

Many thanks to Steve Lieber for sending me copies of these two books.

Family Reunion: When you get a copy of this, and I'm sure you will all get a copy, read the comic inside without reading any of the introductory text. I suspect that the whole story will be more intriguing that way. That's my sole piece of advice on reading the story, and in order to keep the story secret and intriguing, I can't give away any spoilers. So if you want to follow my advice, don't read any further in my review. This mini-comic is an excerpt from the novel Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart, which has quite a fascinating concept. Add in the artwork of the amazing Steve Lieber, and you get a really cool little slice of the story, enough to get me to pick up the book. I'm particularly taken by the final image, in which there are only two "solid" people. Very, very cool. 4 starfish

Me and Edith Head: This one is also "based" on a novel, except it's not an excerpt. This mini takes a supporting character from Empress of the World and shows us a slice of her life. Katrina is a computer nerd whose parents are constantly fighting. Again, writing more will give away the plot, but this is a coming of age story, and a good one. While I don't entirely identify with Katrina, I see echoes of myself in her, and that's the best kind of story to read. Give this one a chance. 4 starfish