Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Flipping Through Previews...

This is a very long post. I know that. If you'd like to see something other than this, but are too lazy to scroll, try my latest Random Thoughts post, featuring a passion flower, or my Travels with Artie post. Further back, you can see the Ballard Locks Photo Workshop post with lots of pictures. I'm also proud of my Winchester Mystery House walk-through post. See, lots more on this blog than just comic books.

Congrats to me. This is my twelfth edition of Flipping Through Previews. I've actually been doing this for a whole year. Does anyone besides me actually read this when getting ready to order? Eh, time to get on with it:

Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. Conan gets the front cover, and it's very striking indeed. I'm not sure I'll be getting that book, but the recent monthly has been so good that the cover catches my eye. The back cover is a confusing mass of G.I.Joe and Transformers. Not enough to pull a new reader in.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). Not a lot here for me. The Drawing Contest sounds great, too bad I'm not much of an artist. The DC Comics Encyclopedia sounds like a cool project, but probably way too expensive for me (it's DK, so it's probably quite good if a bit lightweight). Archie Comics is reprinting The Adventures of the Fly.

This month is "How To Draw Month", as seen on page 11. Maybe I should pull out my art books again and start working on my drawing skills.

Skipping over the "Premier Comics", I'll start at page 184 with Wizard magazine. As I said last month, Wolverine doesn't really need another book, but Wizard is having him "host" the magazine this month, whatever that is supposed to mean.

The Featured Items on pages 192-195 include Mike Allred's Golden Plates, the aforementioned Adventures of the Fly, and something from Fantagraphics called Hanging Out With the Dream King. Hrm.

It's no surprise to anyone who knows me that I will end up buying multiple compies of AAA Pop Comics (199) publication for this month. It's a surprise to me, however, to see a full-page ad for it on page 197 followed by a full-page article about it on page 198. I'm not entirely sure that the general comic book audience is going to be that interested in The Golden Plates, but he's sure to get some people interested in comics with this project. For the record, I know for certain I will be buying at least three copies of this at the moment (one for me, one for family, one for a friend), but that number may go up.

About Comics (202) has a resolicit of The Liberty Project, a manga-sized reprint of the nine issue original series. Looks like fun, since it's by Kurt Busiek.

Adept Books (204) has a book called Bright Elegy that looks like it is set in the Pacific Northwest. I'm mildly tempted to get it just to see how well the art captures the region.

Moving on, Airship Entertainment (210) solicits Girl Genius #13 complete with spoilers. If you read the most recent issue, you know what I mean. If you haven't read the most recent issue, what's wrong with you? This is a great book! Go snag it!

AIT/Planet Lar (210) finally reveals their master plan in 1000 Steps To World Domination, in which a comic book writer/artist tries to take over the world through comic books. I'm warning you, if you read this maybe we'll finally figure out what Larry Young is up to! They are also putting out the eleventh issue of the critically acclaimed series Demo, which you probably don't want to miss.

Amaze Ink/Slave Labor (211) is putting out volume 2 of Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Adventures. I don't know what to say.

I didn't realize that I Hunt Monsters from Antarctic Press (215) was already up to issue #8, but I'm only mentioning it here so I can repeat something from the solicit: "Cinco De Mayhem"... oooh, that's bad. If you want to catch up with the series, but don't want to hunt back-issues, you can get a collection in manga size: I Hunt Monsters Pocket Manga Volume 1 (218). Very tempting.

Speaking of monsters, how many times does the word "monster" appear on page 219? Half the titles include the word.

Arcana Studio (220) doesn't have anything I'm inclined to buy this month, but I will note 100 Girls #2 as a book worth a second look. Arcana seems to be going about building a company the right way, I hope they have some luck and some people try out more of their titles.

Archie Comics (221) is ... this is old news. I've already mentioned it twice. Do I have to mention it again? Right... The Adventures of the Fly Volume 1. There. Reprints from 1959 and 1960. Should I say any more?

Garth Ennis fans, which I am not, will want to look at Avatar Press's new book Garth Ennis's 303 #1 (231). As usual, the ideas seem fascinating, but I know the execution won't be to my liking. I hope his fans enjoy it, though.

Beckett Comics jumps in with the fourth issue of The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty (236). I recently ordered the series, I hope it stays strong. I am curious. An interesting bit about this one? The first issue was only available via Free Comic Book Day.

Bighead Press (236) has an interesting offering called The Probability Broach in which a police detective gets thrown sideways in time. Could be interesting.

Big Pond Comics (236) offers up Dandy And Company Anthrology #1 which looks to be based on a web comic and be kid friendly. I might have to check it out.

Bongo Comics (238) is putting out Simpsons Classic #2, which reprints the second two issues of Simpsons Comics in an oversized format.

Broken Halos (240) believes so strongly in their books that they are offering a money back guarantee to retailers on up to 20 books. That said, I wouldn't have looked twice at Mona Lisa: Eve Of All Saints Halloween Special #1 but for the guarantee, and I'm not likely to get it anyway. But it's a cool program.

The CBLDF (244) has SPX 2004 Anthology, which I would get if I had enough to buy it. But money is indeed tight, and I'm afriad I'm going to have to pass on this one.

Committed Comics (247) goofy title Java! #3 comes to an end. While I don't drink coffee, the whole Seattle=coffee thing is a mild amusement to me. I'll probably get it. And am I the only person in the world who hates the smell of coffee?

Digital Webbing (273) has two books worth a second look this month. The Savior #1 looks like a different kind of book. Ok, it looks like a concept that has been done a thousand different times in a hundred different ways, but it has potential and there is an on-line preview. I also recommend Digital Webbing Presents #19, which I should really get on my pull list one of these days. It's a rarity: a good short anthology.

Dork Storm Press (273) has the first regular issue of Dr Blink: Superhero Shrink as well as a resolicit of Nodwick #26. PS238 isn't solicited this month, but I'll just mention again that it's probably the best all-ages book out there right now and I highly recommend it.

Fantagraphics is putting out Hanging Out With The Dream King (289), which many of us do anyway just by reading his blog. Still, could be fun.

Jetpack Press (310) caught my eye for some reason, then I noticed that they publish the Johnny Raygun book that I wasn't overly impressed with for FCBD. To my amusement, though, their solicit of Johnny Raygun Triple Pack Plus has a cover that includes a character called "H2Olaf". Now that's a character I wouldn't mind learning more about.

The Tomb from Oni Press (319) looks like another cool little story. This one could be good.

I'm not getting it, but Deady The Terrible Teddy is a really funny name. This one is from Sirius Entertainment (322).

Don't miss Daisy Kutter #3 from Viper Comics (351). I almost missed issue #1, which should be due out real soon here.

And I seem to have managed to get through the main comic book section with most of my brain intact. Moving on to the Magazines/Books/Toys/Videos...

There is a strange new book on page 365 that I would like more information on. It's called Comic Book Digest #1, and it claims to be an "up-and-coming comic magazine about up-and-coming comics!" And it also claims to have 80 pages of 8 page previews. But that's not the big thing. According to Previews, this book is only $1.95. At that price it is worth taking a risk on even though we don't know who is in the book.

The second issue of Big Fun Comics is also up on page 365. Again, looks very interesting, but I can't swing it at that price.

There's a Faction Paradox book on page 382. Faction Paradox is related somehow to Doctor Who, but I couldn't explain it if I tried. Anyway, Faction fans might want to check out Faction Paradox: Of the City of the Saved.

And I finally reach the new DK book on page 392: The DC Comics Encyclopedia. It's out of my reach at $40 retail, but maybe someone will get it for me or at least let me look at their copy to see how much Aquaman manages to get in there. Yeah, I'd like a copy. But I still have to eat.

There's a European Import I'm interested in, but not enough to really want it. It's Hellboy: Semilla De Destruccion (399). That's right, Hellboy in Spanish. That's how you get kids to study their High School Spanish.

What, another Green Lantern T-Shirt? Page 417. This makes, what, the 900th? This year?

Who wants to get Happy Days action figures? (443-444). I think the only one I would have wanted as a kid would have been Fonzie. And now I wouldn't be inclined to get even him (sorry, Arthur).

Did you know that you can get Playskool Star Wars action figures? (447). Well, now you do.

Hello Kitty Wizard of Oz Plush Set (488). I've been tempted, oh so tempted, to get this set for hubby-Eric, but have resisted so far.

Here's another nostalgia trip for you: Mork & Mindy Complete Season 1 DVD Set (529). I think I'll pass on that, thanks.

Jumping back to the beginning of the book, it's time for me to cover the "big four" Premier Publishers. As usual, I'll finish with DC Comics, since they are the publisher I tend to buy the most books from.

Let's start off with Dark Horse. The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist Vol 2 (16) collects issues 3 and 4, which is solicited on the next page. I couldn't really justify getting the first two issues, and we probably won't buy any more of this series. It's good, just not enough for us.

Conan #9 (18) will make my list, but I'm not sure about Conan and the Daughters of Midora (19). It's Kurt Busiek's writing and Cary Nord's amazing art that make this series for me, I'm not entirely convinced that Palmiotti and Texeira can match them. We'll have to see.

I'll definitely be getting Usagi Yojimbo #79 (21). Yeah, that's a no-brainer, isn't it? Less certain is Marge's Little Lulu Vol 1 (22) which I would love to get but think it may not make the list. I love the cover to The Goon #9 (24), but I won't be getting the book. It's a fun series, but not to my liking. I think Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Vol 2 (34) will make the list. I'm enjoying everything related to the Clone Wars Adventures animation.

Image Comics is putting out Noble Causes #4 (138) which certainly makes the list. Top Cow is soliciting Rising Stars #22 (165) which is a wee bit late by my accounting. Oh, I'll get it. If I can, I'll even dig out the first 21 issues so I can remember what was happening.

As usual, I didn't bother picking up the Marvel Preview, so for Marvel Comics I'm ordering via the shipping list (176). No Thor this month, my friend David has dropped it. I'll be getting Amazing Spider-Man #72/513, Supreme Power #13, and Powers #5.

And so we move into DC Comics for this month.

I guess we start with the CMX section (55-57). Is that a girl or a guy on page 55? It looks like a drag queen to me. It don't think I'll be getting any of these comics, but if I did I think Land of the Blindfolded (57) would be the most likely.

Moving on to the Batman section (58-65), I'm not at all interested in yet another massive crossover. It's good to see that Batman: Detective No. 27 (63) is finally coming out in softcover. Birds of Prey #75 (64) is an extra-sized and extra-priced issue.

Next is the Superman section (66-70). A hardcover edition of Superman: Birthright (68) is already coming out. I wouldn't mind getting the Superman Archives Vol 1 (69) at that low price.

In the DC Universe section (71-87) there are some obvious must-gets along with a few I hope to get my hands on. Adam Strange #2 (72) might end up in our box. Aquaman #23 and Bloodhound #4 will for sure.

Fallen Angel #16 (73) is on the list, but I'm still wondering how well the trade has done.

Some other titles: Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 (74), Green Arrow #43 (75), H-E-R-0 #21 (76), Identity Crisis #5 (77), JLA #107 (79), JSA #66, JSA: Strange Adventures #3 (80), Outsiders #17 (81), and Plastic Man #11 (82).

I'll be getting Solo #1, and hopefully the rest of the issues too. This one has a lot of promise, I hope it sells well.

In the Johnny DC Section (88-89) we'll be getting two titles. The Batman Strikes! #2 (88) and Justice League Unlimited #2.

I'm pretty much skipping over the Beyond the Universe section (90-95) and the Humanoids and 2000 A.D. section (96-99).

The Wildstorm section (100-110) has one title I'm getting. Astro City: A Visitor's Guide (103). Well worth getting. You'll get it too, right?

Moving on, the Vertigo section (111-119) has a book, maybe the last of this title I'll be getting. Swamp Thing #8 (115).

There is nothing in the DC Direct section (120-126) that we can get (or afford).

So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.