Friday, August 27, 2004

Rapid Reviews - Exercise Shows

As I mentioned in this morning's fitness post, I've been exercising to TV shows. I haven't forgotten to review them as I watch them, also. Generally I try to review them right after I watch them so as to live up to the "rapid" bit of my title. With my Rapid Reviews, I'm trying to present my first impressions. My opinion often changes or develops when I view or read something a second or third time. But I avoid that, as I know most people don't usually reread as much as I do. For many people, the first impression is the only impression.

After watching the first two seasons of Angel, I decided it was time to go back and watch some more Buffy. I'd already seen the first four episodes, but that wasn't really enough. So back I went back and started where I left off:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer [1-05]: Never Kill A Boy on the First Date: It's been awhile since I watched Buffy. I've been focused on Angel so much. But going back to the beginning was a fascinating experience. In this episode, Angel only makes a little cameo... but he looks so young! I thought I had the plot all figured out, but I was wrong about a couple of things. I wasn't wrong about the identity of the Annointed One, though. The show fooled me into thinking I was wrong, but in the end, it all turned out like I expected it to. 3 1/2 starfish

Buffy the Vampire Slayer [1-06]: The Pack: Raw piggy... and other things. This one was gruesome. I think Sunnydale must have a serious psychologist boom... anyone who survives one of the strange events will need some intensive help. This is a nice popcorn show. Fun to watch, and not too heavy to enjoy. 3 1/2 starfish

Buffy the Vampire Slayer [1-07]: Angel: Ah, the truth comes out. I can only imagine the impact this episode had when it was first aired, but the whole Darla thing has quite an impact for me after what I've seen in the other show. Quite an episode, really. And hey, I know what happened to Darla now! 4 starfish

Buffy the Vampire Slayer [1-08]: I Robot, You Jane: After the intensity of the last episode, it's only fitting to go to something a little more light-hearted. I love the concept in this one, of a demon being scanned accidently into the internet. And while it is generally fun, there are a few overly silly bits that slow it down. 3 1/2 starfish

0 comments: