Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Random Thought-like Things

Tips for Hurricane Preparedness. Via Collective Sigh.

The Electoral College site has added a new feature. Cartograms show the size of a state in proportion to whatever you are looking at, in this case electoral votes. So you can look at a "map" of the United States and see how their electoral votes compare to their neighbors.

Readers of The Register started turning off Windows "features" after an article ran that said what features ought to be turned off by default. The results weren't pretty.

The Germans are advertising Oktoberfest in Klingon.

Ghost Towns for Sale. The one mentioned is up in British Colombia, and was built in the 1970s. I would love to go where there aren't any people.

Today is election day in Washington state, and people are getting upset at the new primary for entirely the wrong reason. Most people are upset that they can't choose any candidate. I'm upset that the state is paying for an election in which the parties want only party members to vote in. I have no problem with parties electing their own candidates, but I want them to do it on their own dime. The taxpayers shouldn't be paying for it, and this primary is the most expensive in the history of the state if you add in all the "voter education" advertising and extra printing costs. I voted, but I refused to mark a party or vote in the partisan elections. And if I thought it would make a difference, I'd sue the political parties to recover the costs of the election for the state. They wasted our money. THAT's what we should be upset about.

I went to a birthday party for the child of a couple of my college friends recently. Tristan turned one:

He was really hard to get a picture of. This one is amazing, as more shots turned out looking a bit like this:

I should have put the camera on the "sports" setting, then maybe I could have gotten more pictures.

0 comments: