Monday, September 20, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 15 September 2004 - Part II

JLA Secret Files 2004: I suppose that if I cared a flying fig about Justice League Elite, I would have enjoyed the first story much more. As it is, I couldn't figure out why the Flash was in both groups and wearing different uniforms in both. Seemed silly, even for Wally. The profiles were ok, but the real key to this book was the Crime Syndicate story, and it was cool. I'm looking forward to Busiek's JLA run even more now, if that was possible. 3 1/2 starfish

Captain America and the Falcon Vol 1: Two Americas: My friend David wanted to try out this book, but finding back issues proved impossible thanks to Marvel's crappy no-reprint policy. So I bought the trade, which is thanks to Marvel's not-so-crappy put-out-trades-fast policy. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with the story, but the artwork was confusing. Very poor storytelling, with pin-ups of the heroes thrown in for no discernable reason, except maybe so the artist could draw pin-ups. Captain America, both of him, were obscenely over-muscled to the point of not looking vaguely human. Find an artist who actually wants to draw a story, and this could have been a good book. As it is, the book was too much trouble to try to decipher. Not recommended. 2 1/2 starfish

Strange #1: Hrm. Not being familiar at all with Dr Strange's origin, I'm not sure what to think of this one. Young doctor full of promise, goes on to become arrogant plastic surgeon? The beginning of the book was good, with the promising doctor showing some decency and kindness, but the rest seemed a bit blah. I'll have to hold back judgement on this one, and see if I get more from the remaining issues. 3 starfish

Still to review: Birds of Prey, Batman Strikes, The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty, and Colonia.

0 comments: