Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 29 September 2004 - Part I

The Batman: Traction: Ah. Bane. Is there really anything more that need be said about this one? Let's see... nice batbot. Nice to get a little more of this version of Alfred's history. Bane was about what I've expect from him in his first appearance. Overall, ok, but nothing special. Three episodes in, and I'm still definitely just lukewarm to this show. 3 1/2 starfish

Halloween Ashcans:

  • Sabrina vs Archies Ashcan 2004: I really don't like the attempt at a Manga look. It just looks odd. I guess it's just as well I'm not the intended audience for this book. The story was fine, but the art... yuck. 3 starfish
  • Dark Horse 2004 Halloween Special: Oh, this is good. This is nicely creepy, nicely Dark Horse, and just plain cool. I didn't know this would have art by Jill Thompson, but it's absolutely perfect for the story (which is written by Evan Dorkin). This says it's a reprint from the Dark Horse Book of Hauntings, and this sample is enough to tempt me to get that book if I can lay hands on it. Excellent book, and I'm looking forward to handing this one out on Halloween. 4 starfish
  • Marvel Age Halloween Special 2004: I liked the Mini-Marvels better. This is a sampler of some of the Marvel Age books, and it comes across ok. It's also a reprint book, but you get a number of characters (including two pages of Hulk). Not bad for its purpose, I guess. 3 1/2 starfish

Vagabond Vol 2: Young and reckless, Takezo is covered in violence due to the insanity of the battlefield. In this volume, he's brought back to his senses with a little help from an old friend and a new one. The book is pretty gory, but there's a reason for it. Everything in the book serves the story. I still don't see this guy becoming the "most renowned samurai of all time", but that's why I'm reading the story. 4 starfish

Life Eaters: The first section of this book covers the original short story, "Thor Meets Captain America", which I read a long time ago in an alternate history anthology. It was an amazing story then, and the expansion of the story into three parts only makes it better. The artwork is pretty good, but I would have liked to see more of the other "gods" that showed up. If you are going to bring in a whole bunch of mythology, it seems only right to actually show them in the book. But for that, it was a really good read. 4 starfish

Still to review: Adam Strange, New Frontier, Green Lantern, JLA, Outsiders, Amazing Spider-Man, and Futurama.

0 comments: