Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 22 December 2004

Conan #11: "The God in The Bowl": It's fascinating to see Conan getting steadily more impatient with his captors. It was also interesting to see where Conan finally snapped. He was much more patient than I expected him to be. I was slightly disappointed that the mystery wasn't really solved by the main players, but it was a good story anyway. 4 starfish

Green Arrow #45: "New Blood Part Six: Coming Out": It doesn't quite feel like I'm being preached to. At least, not after the first few pages. But it certainly risks going too far that way. It seemed like this one should have resolved the story, but I'm just left wondering if there is any more to it. 3 1/2 starfish

Green Lantern: Rebirth #3: "Yellow": Huh. Too many spoilers in this one for me to give a true reaction. Let me just say that this isn't what I was expecting... but is a neat little solution, even if it is a little... unlikely. Or maybe I'm thinking it's just convenient. Almost too convenient. Still, it might work. I look forward to seeing what all the Green Lantern fans think of this one. Mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

JLA: Classified #2: "Master of Light": Confusing and Morrison-y, but fairly cool anyway. I like the Squire, and wouldn't mind seeing more of her adventures. I like the artwork, especially the use of iconic imagery to represent the league. Very nice, if hard to swallow in some ways. 3 1/2 starfish

Solo #2: Richard Corben: I didn't know anything about Corben, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this issue. Well, creepiness and gore. Only one story is set in the DCU proper, but these are pretty good overall. Nicely creepy and strange. Not really my cup of tea, but certainly pretty good overall. 3 1/2 starfish

Hero Squared X-Tra Sized Special #1: "Over The Looking Glass": Another review book from Atomeka Press, and the first one from them that I really enjoyed. I had a suspicion that I would like it when I saw the writers, Keith Giffen and J.M.DeMatteis. That alone was enough to make me want to read it, but add in some solid artwork and you've got a keeper. Recommended. 4 starfish

Still to review: Samurai Executioner Volume 2. I probably won't read it until after Christmas.

0 comments: