Monday, November 07, 2005

Flipping Through Previews...

AAAAAUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. Wow. If I ever had any urge to read Body Bages, that cover killed it. Ugly as sin. The Sgt Rock cover is ok, nothing special.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). Nothing of interest... Except maybe the Marvel Decimation. Promises, promises. But that's it.

The "Try Something New" (12-13) checklist is a good idea. There isn't a lot of books there that appeal to me, but there are some gems in the rough. I like how each entry refers the reader to the page number of the item for more information. Anyway, go look at it if you want some new books to look at.

Skipping past the "Premier Comics", we'll stop at Wizard (184-190). I had to pause on the "Alex Ross" bit on page 187 because of Manta's appearance. The clever idea for Heroclix on page 188 amused me. MuppetClix! I'd buy 'em.

Into "Featured Items" (192-195). While part of me wishes I'd waited to buy Angel: The Curse as a trade, but part of me is very happy I bought individual issues. Nothing else jumps out at me. So into the regular listings we go, tra-la-la.

A Fine Line Press (198) has a look at the Desert Peach's entire life in Desert Peach: Bread & Swans.

Next up is AiT/Planet Lar (205-207) who are offering a collection of 3 graphic novels by Charlie Adlard. I've read White Death and Codeflesh and generally enjoyed them, but I haven't tried Nobody, so I can't say anything about that. Except that the others were good, so it probably is as well. White Death was, if you'll excuse the expression, particularly chilling. Also offered again this month is Astronauts in Trouble: Live From The Moon which was a fun story.

Alias (207-210) no longer has multiple ad pages, which is interesting. They also seem to have raised their prices. Hrm. Ler's see... we'll get Lullaby, and that appears to be it.

Next publisher of interest to us is Antarctic Press (214-217) for the much anticipated final issue of Oz: The Manga.

Moving along... Bongo Comics is next with Futurama Comics #23 and Simpsons Classics #7.

Boom! Studios (232) regals us with the "Justice League" of Captain Valor from Hero Squared in Planetary Brigade. As much as I enjoyed Hero Squared, I'm not sure I'll be getting this. It does look fun, though.

There's a bit of a drought after that, until we get to IDW Publishing (279-285) there then we run into a couple of books. First is Fallen Angel #2, which we'll probably get. And then there is Angel: Old Friends #3. Yeah, we'll probably get that too. Then there's Spike: Old Wounds, a one-shot that I'm not sure about. I like Spike. But I'm not sure I'll get it.

Mr Comics (292-293) has a free Planet of the Apes story on their website. And from the quality of that tale, I'm tempted to buy the regular book, which is by Ty Templeton. Definitely a tempting book.

Also on the list is Oni Press (298-301) with the next issue of Local.

Rosen Publishing Group (303) is making me drool again with a new series on Myths. All of them look good, particularly the African Myths. I really wouldn't mind getting these books from Rosen.

Speakeasy Comics (305-313) has a ton of books. Not one of which we will be getting.

Ah, for once I have something to say about Tokyopop (315-336). The book in question is Sorcerers & Secretaries Vol 1, which I have enjoyed a lot in the on-line previews. It's on my wishlist now, and might possibly sneak its way onto the order. We'll see.

Wow, two manga publishers in a row being discussed here... Viz Comics (345-353) also has some books of interest. First up: Hikaru No Go vol 6. Ok, so I still have to get volumes 4 & 5, but I will get this book eventually. From Shojo Beat, I've been enjoying Absolute Boyfriend about a girl who accidently orders an android boyfriend. Volume 1 is in this issue of Previews. If you like cute and sweet stories that make you cry, Baby & Me is for you. I like it, but I probably won't get the collection.

And lastly, Zenescope (354) has another issue of Grimm Fairy Tales. I got to read the first issue, and although it was a bit adult in flavor, it really was pretty good. Each issue is standalone, so if you are tempted then you just pick the one you feel most like reading. They've done Red Riding Hood (issue #1), Cinderalla (issue #2), and Hansel & Gretel (issue #3). Issue #4 features Rumplestiltskin.

And that concludes the regular comic book section... whew... and off into the back of the book I go. And flip... flip... flip... nothing. Nada. I don't feel like mentioning anything.

And that gets us through the comics and extras and sends us back to the front of the book to tackle the big four, and thus the bulk of our comic book order...

Dark Horse (17-53) has a new Star Wars book, Knights of the Old Republic set four thousand years before the Rise of the Empire. I don't know how interested I am, but it's something. I'll certainly get Conan #24, Conan and the Demons of Khitai #4, and Usagi Yojimbo. I thought Samurai Executioner was done, but there's one final volume.

Image Comics (131-173) has Noble Causes #18 and Stardust Kid #4.

Marvel Comics (176) the big Spidey crossover is still going on, so no Spidey books. Looks like Powers #17 is it.

And so we reach the company that will be getting most of my money. DC Comics.

Batman (59-66): Nothing I'll be getting for myself.

Superman (67-70): Hey, Livewire is showing up in Action Comics #835! This oughta be interesting. But I won't be getting any of the Superman books for myself.

DC Universe (71-94): We'll start with Infinite Crisis #4 and Aquaman #38. I'm just so bored with the crossover, and it hasn't really gotten going yet. Birds of Prey #90... I can't believe it's up to 90 already. I'm not sure we'll get the Day of Vengeance: Infinite Crisis Special, though I'm leaning toward getting it. Hubby-Eric wants Green Lantern #8 and Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #5. I'm not sure Green Arrow #58 will make the list, because I've been meaning to drop this book for awhile and this might be the issue we drop it on.

Other probables are JLA #124, JSA #81, JLA Classified: Cold Steel #2, JSA Classified #7, JLA Classified #16, Legion of Super-Heroes #14. We might also get Outsiders #32, but I'm not certain about that.

Johnny DC/DC Library/CMX (95-105): Justice League Unlimited #17 has the Freedom Fighters show up! That could be fun.

Wildstorm (106-113): Nothing I'll be getting for myself.

Vertigo (114-124): Another month, another issue... Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere #6

DC Direct (125-130): Nothing I'll be getting for myself.

And there it is... all of Previews. I'm finally all the way through. Huzzah. So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

Note: I've posted a mostly Oz-focused version of this at The Wonderful Blog of Oz.

Previous Flipping Through Previews:

0 comments: