Thursday, May 13, 2010

Stepford House Plants Update

First: arborvitae are still growing slowly, oh so slowly.

Second: and the one dollar tomato plants have not grown any significant amount since my last report.

Third: but my plum stick has news! After planting it, I made a cage from leftover fencing material and staked it around the plum stick so it wouldn't get run over by local children, who have an annoying habit of racing through my yard screaming at the top of their lungs. Get off my lawn! *ahem* Anyway, here's a picture from today so you can see how I staked it out:

Plum Stick Cage

But of much more interest was what Eric told me when he came in after checking out my plum stick in order to water it. He asked me if I knew it was starting to grow leaves. LEAVES? REAL LEAVES? I had to rush out and look, and sure enough, my plum stick is growing some green!

Plum Stick Leaves

I'm so happy! I didn't actually expect anything to grow so quickly. It's only been a week since I planted it, and I don't feel like I did a good job with the planting. So seeing this growth makes me feel pretty darn good now. I don't know if it will last, but I can dream of having fruit on this tree in five or six years or so.

Plum Stick Leaves

I'll try to keep reporting on it every week or so. This is perhaps the most exciting thing happening around here lately. Ah, the joys of living in the middle of nowhere!

1 comments:

Carolyn said...

I have no doubts that your plum tree will grow nice and big! Mmmm, plums..mmmmm. :)