Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday Dump of Links

Here's 10 Spectacular Photos of Animals. The seahorse and the owl impress me the most.

Photo by Don McLeish

The Girl Genius novels are being released in the UK, but I really don't know what to make of those covers.

I found this article to be a fascinating look at saving languages. Languages are like keys to culture, and preserving them is worth the effort.

Know your rights, a booklet in multiple languages that explains what rights you do and do not have when dealing with law enforcement.

Warning, I've put the politics behind the cut. Some folks will just want to skip 'em.

I am anti-abortion but pro-choice. The reasons I feel this way are articulated from a slightly different point of view than mine in this post. If the goal is to "save unborn babies" then the pro-life movement is going about it all wrong. If the goal is to punish women for having sex, then the pro-life movement is right on target. But punishing women for having sex will NEVER stop abortion, nor reduce it significantly. Only education and access to birth control can do that, both of which the pro-life movement is against.

See also Birth control and the poor and American Taliban. I don't agree with all of them 100%, but they are closer to my beliefs than the so-called pro-life movement that supports murdering doctors and shaming women.

Of course, even ardent pro-life organizations will argue that fetuses aren't people if it will save them money.

0 comments: