Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria - Bleah. Just another talent/popularity contest. Nothing there for me. I don't think I've heard a worse rendition of "Over the Rainbow" recently.
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "Where the Locals Go" - Definitely want biscuits and gravy (my favorite breakfast food ever). I've had rabbit before, I wouldn't eat it again except to survive. So the first place I would go to happily, the second place I'd try out, but the third place I don't feel like visiting.
  • American Gladiators - I'm a week behind thanks to Problem Like Maria, but I enjoyed this episode, which featured twin sisters competing against each other.
  • The Next Food Network Star: "Being an Expert" - White chocolate tilapia? Well, my least favorite is still in it, but she's softened my opinion of her a bit with that fall. Nothing makes a person seem human quite like falling down and spilling a quart of sauce over herself. We're nearly to the point where I like all the contestants, and I was sad to see the loser leave this week.
  • Supernanny: "Moy Family" - Nice to see the work with older children. Especially children who are suffering from massive sibling rivalry!
  • Doctor Who: "The Stolen Earth" - Best cliffhanger in Doctor Who history, especially since I've got a nice amount of doubt as to what's going to happen in the next part. All I can say is that the cosmic reset button BETTER NOT be hit.
Comics from last week:
  • Justice League of America #22 - I was just getting interested in the Vixen story, then the Red Tornado story got in the way.
  • Teen Titans Year One #5 - I think I hate this book. The ugliest Aqualad ever.
  • Super Friends #4 - Ah, this wiped out the stink of TTY1. Very fun issue.
  • PS238 #32 - This issue made me sad, but it was really very powerful. As usual, I can hardly wait for the next issue.
Comics this week:
  • Phantom #24 - Ah... I don't know if I disappointed or pleased. Pleased, I think, overall.
  • Conan the Cimmerian #0 - Promising start.
  • Trinity #4 - I'm far more interested in the back-up story than the main one. Is that a good or bad sign.
  • Final Crisis #2 - This is another one of those books that's going to read better all at once instead of issue by issue.
  • Green Lantern #32 - I'm just not interested in Hal Jordan's origin again.
  • JSA Classified #39 - I like Wildcat, but I was hoping for something different.
  • Oz/Wonderland Chronicles #3 - I really want to read this whole series from the beginning, once it's done. It's interesting, but I can't remember what happened last!
  • Darkness #4 - I don't know that I will buy this for myself once I stop getting it for D once we move, but I do know that I enjoy it most of the time.
  • Hulk #4 - I think I know who this red Hulk is, now, but there's something wrong when I like the little comic strip in the back more than the main issue.
  • Superman #677 - The day after I read it, I can barely remember what happened. I think there was a game of frisbee, and maybe a new superpower. Not sure what else.
This week's library movie was Hairspray (2007). I really enjoyed the 1988 version. This one had different quirks, but I liked it a lot as well. Christopher Walken was a surprise, but then he's in a music video that I also find surprising as well. I keep forgetting that Travolta is a guy, which is scary if you think about it too hard. Really good, worth a look if you like musicals.

No library books this week, not even any Christie. Time suddenly got really limited on Monday after we got the happy joy phone call from Eastern Washington.

0 comments: