Monday, March 24, 2003

Not A Lot


A bit of human nature played out behind me in the restaurant tonight (hubby-Eric and I went out using some money he got from Birthday Express for selling party supplies through his website).

There was a woman and a man in the booth next to ours, both talking loudly enough that I had to tune them out fairly quickly or get annoyed. Thus I didn't pay attention to the remarks that led up to the woman saying in a much louder voice, "You knew?!! That was supposed to be a secret!!!"

"Well, yeah, Chris told me," the man answered.

"But it's a secret!" the woman stammered in reply, "And he's, like, telling everyone! He told John, and Mark, and a dozen other people!"

"Well," said the man very reasonably, "you just told me."

"That's different! You already knew!" She said.

"But you didn't know I knew when you told me." He replied.

"But you knew! And it was supposed to be a secret!"

I had to fight to keep from laughing. I think I actually may have let out a chuckle, but I managed to keep it mostly to myself, and the conversation between the two in the next booth eventually moved on to other topics in more normal tones.

I wonder if the woman ever realized just how ironic she was being in getting angry that someone else had already spilled a secret she was busy spilling?

0 comments: