Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Something From The Bookshop


Now that I've actually got my bookshop up and running, I thought it might be fun to promote some of the cool books I'm putting in the shop (if nothing else it ought to get me to write up notes about the books on the shop page). If you choose to buy this book through the link to Amazon I provide, I'll get a tiny percentage in the form of credit. If you don't choose to buy it that way, I urge you to check it out anyway, because these are NEAT books.

coverAge of Bronze: A Thousand Ships

Hardcover Edition

Ok, I have to confess. Eric Shanower is a good friend of my husband. They both were in the Oz club early on. While hubby-Eric went on to write the most comprehensive Wizard of Oz website the internet has ever seen, Eric Shanower is an incredible artist and writer who's work is simply amazing, and his efforts to preserve and share early Oz artwork and music (along with his partner David Maxine) are admirable. That said, this effort of Shanower's has nothing to do with Oz.

Age of Bronze is a complete retelling of the story of the Trojan War, from Paris' emergence as a prince of Troy until... well, I don't know where it will end. We're only sixteen issues into it (as of March 2003) and it is consistently good all the way through. This collection, "A Thousand Ships" covers the kidnapping of Helen up to the first launch of the Greek fleet toward Troy.

To do justice to the story, Shanower has kept up with the latest archeological studies of the era. He uses the many examples of imagery from Greek artifacts to portray the Greeks, and went so far as to ask the leading expert on Troy, Manfred Korfmann, what the Trojans may have looked like. An extensive bibliography in the back of this volume will lead the curious to many other sources of Trojan myth.

Of course, this is just the first volume. The second volume, "Sacrifice", is currently being serialized in comic book format from Image Comics. You can find it at any good comic book store, or at The Age of Bronze website.

0 comments: