Saturday, July 12, 2003

Explosion

As I was working today in the shop, a co-worker came up to me and asked if I was likely to drive on I-5 anytime soon. I said no, and he explained that their had been some kind of explosion on I-5 near a construction site, and traffic was backed up for miles in both directions. Yow.

A short time later, the boss' husband came in and told the whole tale that we knew at that point. A tanker truck, presumably carrying fuel, had exploded in Lynnwood, which is a bit North of Seattle. The explosion was so fierce, the heat so bad, that trees on the other side of the road had caught fire. Hearing this, I found myself saying a little prayer for all the people who had been nearby, as I was fairly certain that there had to have been deaths in an explosion of that nature. A customer, overhearing the conversation, exclaimed, "So that was what that huge cloud of smoke was!"

Knowing this, I was really surprised when I saw the news later that no one was seriously injured in the explosion. The driver of the tanker escaped with a scratch, the other cars on the freeway managed to stop in time or evade the problem. The freeway is still closed Northbound as of this writing, and that's a pretty serious problem in already gridlocked Seattle, but seeing an explosion of that size with no serious injuries... it's quite amazing.

0 comments: