Wednesday, July 09, 2003

In The News

CNN reports three-way street battles in Iran. This is after three students were kidnapped by hardline Iranian Islamic vigilantes as they left a meeting in which the protests were actually cancelled. So it's the Iranian Islamic vigilantes against the Police against the Students. And all this after the protests were supposedly cancelled to protect the students from a repeat of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre.

Good News From Afghanistan. Or, at least, better news than we've been getting.

The New York Times reports that the 9/11 commission is being slowed by Saddam-like tactics when key personel are being interviewed: Mr. Kean and Mr. Hamilton suggested that the Justice Department was behind a directive barring intelligence officials from being interviewed by the panel without the presence of agency colleagues. At a news conference, Mr. Kean described the presence of "minders" at the interviews as a form of intimidation. "I think the commission feels unanimously that it's some intimidation to have somebody sitting behind you all the time who you either work for or works for your agency," he said. "You might get less testimony than you would." Isn't that one reason we suspected Saddam of hiding more WMD? Because he wouldn't let scientists be interviewed without minders?

Crooked Timber is a new blog that I've seen recommended on various other blogs. So far I haven't seen anything that would make me inclined to blogroll it, but I'll link to it here so I can keep up with it for a week or so to give me time to decide.

Slashdot reports that the Mars Rover Opportunity has now lifted off. It also reports that Mars is getting a little crowded with all the robots we've sent...

The scumbag who threw a small bomb at a baseball game in Oakland was caught, and the injured boy is apparently going to be ok. I was pretty shocked when I saw the replay of the event on Sportscenter last night, and I'm glad they caught the bomber.

I just want to point out that I'm really glad I use Mozilla as my browser, as the settings allow me to stop pop-ups before they even start, so I pretty much never see any pop-up ads. I am reminded of this fact every time I see a link to a page with a "sorry about the pop-up ads" warning. The reason I never warn about pop-up ads is because I never see them. The only problem with Mozilla is that a handful of poorly designed websites don't recognize Mozilla's cookies... if I have to go to those sites I use my Internet Exploder, and then I do see pop-ups. Ug.

0 comments: