Friday, July 18, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 16 July 2003 - Part I

My thanks to Rich, who sent me H-E-R-O #3 and #4 when I realized I wasn't going to find them at my shop. Here's my thoughts on those, and #5 and #6 which I did find at my shop.

H-E-R-O #3: After the first two issues, I was expecting... I don't know, a turnaround or something. But that wasn't what I got. I got the real events leading up to why this character wanted to commit suicide, and while it was close to what I'd expect, it was also very well done. The cliffhanger was rattling, because I wasn't sure exactly what that last move by the character would be... 3 1/2 starfish

H-E-R-O #4: The final issue of the storyarc, and one heckuva way to finish yourself off. If nothing else, Jerry has style. This first arc established something important about the H-E-R-O dial. It's not a blessing. Not necessarily a curse, either, but certainly not a blessing. Definitely a far cry from its Silver Age origins. I like it. 4 starfish

H-E-R-O #5: What would you do if you had superpowers? I don't know what I would do, but the guy in this story manages to make it the epitome of most superhero origin stories in reverse. What if you gave the man who has everything just a little something more? "Ouch", is what. 4 starfish

H-E-R-O #6: Repeat after me, kids. Peer pressure is BAD. And giving in to peer pressure and allowing your classmates to terrorize the school is also bad. But then, this was a funny story, too. So I guess it's not all bad. Humor and drama... yeah, I like this book. Aquaman is in good hands when Pfeifer takes over with issue #15. 3 1/2 starfish

Still to review: Amazing Spider-Man, Amelia Rules, Aquaman, Arrowsmith, Batman Adventures, Girl Genius, Silken Ghost, Smallville, Teen Titans, and Truth. Whew.

Speaking of the writer of H-E-R-O and soon Aquaman, Will Pfeifer's latest column is about movies to suit your mood.

Very frightening photo parade from San Diego, courtesy of Comic Book Resources.

The results for the 2003 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. Read them, if you dare! via Elayne Riggs.

0 comments: