Monday, July 14, 2003

Sketches are Sketches!

One thought I haven't mentioned yet on here about sketches. I was reminded when Matt let me know he'd seen his sketch on the blog, and his response to it was "Ick" and guilt that he didn't do a better job. Looking at the sketch, I think it's one of the best I've ever seen. I love it.

But then, I'm looking at it with the eye of someone who collects sketches. I know that each and every one was drawn in a hectic "show" environment. The artists are working fast. These aren't their best work, only a "ghost" of what they could turn out given more time and less pressure. They aren't working at a proper drawing table, and there is noise and chaos and strange smells and it's not a good place to do drawings, and yet that's what these poor artists are doing. That the general quality of sketches is so high, despite that, constantly amazes me.

And so remember when I post these here: These are sketches: quick, simple, and for an audience of one. I'm delighted that the artists are allowing me to share them with you, also.

0 comments: