Friday, September 19, 2003

Arrrrr! Random Thoughts

Arrrr. Avast, ye mateys. And that's all of that I'm inclined to do.

I may not have gotten the SoBig virus in my mailbox, but my mailbox is now overloaded with the bogus Microsoft security patch. It's annoying, but mostly harmless. After all, what kind of idiot would install a "patch" they got through e-mail from an unknown source? link via Franklin's Findings

All you JLA and Avengers fans must check out this image of ... well, all the JLA and Avengers. Aquaman is left-center, below Iron Man and above The Flash. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like he's standing on Plastic Man's neck. via Newsarama

Newsarama also has some art from Abadazad up. Abadazad is a new offering from CrossGen that is a kid-friendly fantasy series. Says writer J.M. DeMatteis: "When I think of the best children's fantasy-from L. Frank Baum to C.S. Lewis. from Roald Dahl to J.K. Rowling-they've been stories that have been as delightful to me as they've been to my own children. And I wanted to create a series that would have the same appeal. A comic book I could actually read with my nine-year-old daughter." With artwork by Mike Ploog, who worked on Return to Oz and did a great adaptation of Baum's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, this looks like one book that will end up in our pull list, despite any of CrossGen's shenanigans.

Bunny Names. That's right. Names of actual bunnies. I'm ever so slightly confused. via Neil Gaiman

A spacecraft being worked on was damaged because "technicians from another satellite program that uses the same type of “turn over cart” removed the 24 bolts from the NOAA cart". Ooops. "Hey Bill, we need some bolts!" "Ok, Zed, go borrow them from that other cart. The NOAA folks will never notice they are gone." Sheesh. And the article has pictures, too. via Making Light

Here's another bit on the RIAA's copyright problems. This is a cartoon that shows illegal actions YOU might be guilty of. via Pete Welsch

I seem to recall some pundits going on and on about how the number of items looted from Iraq's museums was overstated. Here's a DoD briefing about the missing items, and the quote I find interesting is: "In total, the number of artifacts now known to be missing from the museum stands at slightly over 10,000." They have recovered over 3,000 pieces, and more will be recovered. Gee, that's more than "a few dozen". via Mark Evanier

0 comments: