Saturday, September 13, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 10 September 2003 - Part I

Too many books! How on earth to organize these? Let's start with the JLA and JSA...

JLA #86: This is turning into yet another Kelly hodge-podge story. There are Oans and Martians and Fire... oh my. But, like Obsidian Age, I don't see that this one will come together until the whole thing is out. It's not bad, it just doesn't read well in installments. 3 1/2 starfish

Justice League Adventures #23: Kobra! Joy. This is a great tale full of impossible situations, and the Justice League not so much defeating the enemy as the enemy defeating himself. If nothing else, it proves once again that you shouldn't underestimate Batman. 3 1/2 starfish

JSA: All Stars #5: If Rick Tyler's normal "flash-forwards" cause him to overturn tables and fall down, he's not in good shape. Anyway, not the best main story, but not too bad. I'm I seem to say that a lot about these books. The back-up story confuses me, as Hourman seems to feel responsible for someone's death, but I don't have the backstory to it. Did I miss something? 3 1/2 starfish

JSA #52: Ok, big long story arc is over, time to reset. And, ya know, I generally enjoy "reset" issues. I don't love them, but they are better than endless fights. This one has a whole bunch of nice moments between various characters, all of which set up future possible plotlines. Then it has a powerful cliffhanger at the end. You can't ask for much more than that in a standard reset issue. 3 1/2 starfish

Still to read and review: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Superman Blood of my Ancestors, Generations III, Aquaman, Fallen Angel, Green Arrow, H-E-R-O, Wildguard, Supreme Power, El Cazador, and Opposite Forces. And the Silver Age Teen Titans Archive, if I get to it. Ha.

And lastly, today's Foxtrot has a math problem that looks interesting. "Three oranges cost half of what nine apples cost. If one orange and one apple together cost 30 cents, how much does one orange cost?" To start with, I set up an equation with A for the cost of apples and G for the cost of oranges (because "O" looks too much like zero). 3G = .5 * 9A then solve for A. Then I added G to the value for A from the previous equation to get 30. My final result was that G (the oranges) cost 18 cents each, and the apples 12 cents. Is there an easier way to do this problem? Besides paying Jason the 2 dollars?

0 comments: