Monday, February 09, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 4 February 2004 - Extra Reviews

Blankets by Craig Thompson: Another book I checked out from the library to try. Unlike Palomar, this one hit close to home. The themes of religion versus the real world were something I also dealt with growing up, though my adult mentors were considerably less scary and more informed than the ones in the book. This is not for everyone, but it was an incredible coming of age story, and I'm glad I read it. 4 starfish

Good-Bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson: This one is quite critically acclaimed, and I was especially interested in reading it after reading and enjoying Blankets. It didn't live up to expectations. I wouldn't call it bad, but if I had read this first, I would never have picked up Blankets. I guess it's just another case of a book that isn't for me. 3 starfish

0 comments: