Saturday, July 31, 2004

Random Thoughts

Hey, that's not a blue moon! This is. We've been using the wrong definition for many years... So today isn't actually a Blue Moon, although it's the second full moon in a month. The next real Blue Moon won't be until August of next year (that would be August 19th 2005). I suppose we could call today a Modern Blue Moon.

Losing Track of What You Love, a commentary on comics.

Hey, did someone just read Hench, or was that pure original? Man, I need to find a job. Something I can do. Something without a long commute. Too bad nobody is willing to pay me for blogging. Still, I'm glad I'm not henching...

Ian is still writing con reports. Follow his links within the notes to go back and start at the beginning.

As long as I'm going on about comics, I'll post again my very short and constantly getting shorter want list of solo Aquaman stories. I'm down to only nineteen missing tales from these books: More Fun #79, Adventure #129, 131, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 141, 142, 145, 148, 151, 171, 176, 177, 178, 179, 184.

My feelings on the new Doctor Who series closely follow Legomancer's feelings. There is a part of me that will not believe we have a new Doctor Who series until I see it on my TV screen.



Speaking of Doctor Who, the place to go for all the news is Gallifrey One. Lots of stuff. Including spoilers with spoiler protection. You can also visit The Doctor Who Appreciation Society (DWAS) for more exclusive pictures. Or you can go to the official BBC Doctor Who Website which is nearly spoiler-free. But not quite.



Have I mentioned lately that I really like our camera? It's perfect for someone like me who isn't too serious about getting prints, but really wants the ability to get good shot for my website.

I kind of wish I'd seen this site before our road trip. On the other hand, we certainly plan on doing the coastal trip again if we can afford it. Via Metafilter.

There have been some discussions on Barack Obama's ethnic background. I am proud to say that, despite seeing several pictures of him, I never thought of him as anything other than "Senate Candidate" until people started pointing out his cool mixed ethnicity. Well, I also thought of him as the poor guy being harrassed by Republican Pervert Jack Ryan, but that was a lesser categorization. Ethnicity is way down on my list of "things you should be concerned about a person."

Speaking of ethnicity, the Bush campaign has proved they care a lot about the race of reporters that cover their events. Strange, they didn't ask for the race of any of the folks with "normal" names... via Metafilter. And don't forget that Bush is also requiring loyalty oaths from people who want to go to rallies. Via Mark Evanier. If Bush values freedom, why is he pushing police state tactics for his campaign events?

If you live in the Seattle area, remember to bring your camera and go to the Ballard Locks TOMORROW, August 1st, at 1 pm for a peaceful (and perfectly legal) protest/workshop against the abuse of Ian Spiers and Homeland Security laws. I got a new tripod yesterday, cheap little thing, but it'll help me to take cool pictures of the boats in the Locks. I will blog, with pictures, tomorrow evening or Monday sometime.

And lastly, here's a picture from Nancy's Garden: