Monday, October 25, 2004

Mondo Monday Random Thoughts

Bad news. I had the strongest urge to listen to "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses this morning. NO! It's not the season yet! Help me! Must... listen... to... Halloween... music...

I've added some images to my Travels With The Troll page... in particular, images taken with the guests and staff at Anglicon.

Near Mint Heroes does the linkblogging thing again, and well. And if that's not enough for you, so does Trash Heap.

Trash Heap also points me to the very promising Comics Reporter blog by Tom Spurgeon.

My usual Mike Sterling link... this time to his comments on the latest Smallville.

Mystifying Oracle Jeff Parker reports on FallCon.

Ringwood points out a fault with many of us comic book bloggers: "we've allowed ourselves to become secondhand sources of Newsarama blurbs. That's... that's pitiful, is what that is." Agreed. Go on over there and let Ringy know how you feel, fellow comics bloggers.

Scientists think that Down's Syndrome is more complicated than previously thought. And this is a surprise, how?

It seems to me that there must be an easier way to do this, what with the advances of camera tech. So maybe it's digital and not film, would that make a huge difference?

Boing Boing posts funny jokes. I like the control freak one.

Hallowe'en is offensive to Wiccans? Didn't think so, but here it is... and it's local to me, too. Puyallup School District... they are worried that it will take up school time, but that's the district that regularly has trips to the Western Washington State Fair planned during school time. Hmmm.

Boing Boing also reports on a new Massively Multiplayer game based possibly on Disneyland. We'll have to see if this one pans out.

/. points to this LEGO Rubik's Cube.

After reading this Urban Legend, I'll be cheering for Green Bay on Hallowe'en.

Deposit a fake check, without even endorsing it. See what happens.

Oh yeah, don't miss the cat tossing in zero G movies that Boing Boing links to. Poor cat. It was clearly confused.

Via MetaFilter: Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization. See how many sighting there have been in your area! Read about the latest expeditions and even report a sighting if you have one to report. There's also a good section on older bigfoot legends divided by linguistic regions.

Um, isn't this overkill? I mean, I can see interviewing the woman to find out what she was up to, but busting in her door and stealing her stuff? Wha? It's like a scene out of 1984... here come the Thought Police!

Speaking of out of control police... I'll let this one speak for itself. Just imagine me shaking my head in disbelief.

Trouble with e-voting in Albuquerque. Looks like a classic case of a poorly designed interface that changes choices without a confirmation box. Either that, or someone is trying to steal the election. I just hope everyone remembers to check their ballot before casting it.

The diary of a Jewish victim of the Holocaust has been discovered. "Helga Deen, 18, wrote the diary during the three months she spent in the camp in 1943 so her Dutch boyfriend could understand what she was experiencing." Apparently she managed to get the diary to her boyfriend, who kept it secret until his recent death, when his family donated it to the Tilburg Regional Archive.

The story of Cahokia, mystery city of Illinois. Due to my unbringing, I'm always fascinated by the archeology of the early peoples of the Americas.

And lastly... DONE. This shows my hand and Eric's hand as we do our civic duty and sign our ballots before sending them off to be counted. Yes, we voted. It's over and done with.


0 comments: