Friday, June 03, 2005

New Router

After the last few weeks of constantly resetting the router, hubby-Eric finally got fed up and bought a new Apple AirPort. We attempted to install it yesterday and had absolutely no luck. The thing appeared to be set up correctly, but we just couldn't connect to the internet through it. I decided to sleep on it, and had a brilliant thought this morning.

It's called Oh-En-Oh-Eff-Eff... it refers to the On/Off switch. When in doubt, turn everything off and then back on again.

It worked. And I suspect I know where the problem was, now that I've done a little hunting around various tech support forums. Apple calls it "ISP Provisioning", and all it means is that the cable modem I hooked the router to was expecting to see a certain router connected to it, and when it didn't recognize the AirPort as that router, it wouldn't let it connect. Turning the modem off and back on again while it was connected to the AirPort fixed the problem.

Ta-Da.

Now it's time to seriously test this sucker. I have plans... bwah-ha-ha-ha! And if I can't kill the router with my tests, it's not going to die while we use it.

0 comments: