Thursday, April 27, 2006

Rapid Reviews

Almost caught up now... I'm actually reading this week's comics in good time instead of waiting until I felt like reading again. I won't be doing my Previews Reviews any time soon, not only are they hard work and I'm three months behind, but I didn't even get a copy of Previews this month thanks to a mix-up by Diamond.

12 April 2006

Superman #651: "Bare Hands": Ah, this one I liked a little tiny bit less than the others. Maybe because we're getting deeper into the story or something. I have never really liked Luthor as a character, so his antics aren't that interesting. And while other OYL books have indicated that the Society is still together, I'm not seeing signs of that in this issue. Is Luthor using the Society to get villains to work together, or is he pulling it all together some other way? Not sure, and not sure if I'm going to keep reading. 2 1/2 starfish

Green Arrow #61: "Green Party Agenda": Not sure what's wrong with the art, but it definitely didn't work for me. It seemed too unfinished, even for this book's usual style (which tends to be a bit unfinished). While I can tolerate poor artwork if there's a great story, if the story is just ok, and the art has problems, I start to notice. And this was noticable. So I'd say this isn't as good as I was hoping, but I'm still curious to see what happens next. I'm a sucker for the superheroes. 2 1/2 starfish

Noble Causes #19: Oh, not good. Race's hair looks like a flame, and I can't tell Rusty and Race apart. I hate to say it, but the change in artists this time was definitely for the worse. The story was almost strong enough to make up for it... but not quite. The art just does not work. 2 starfish

Alice in Wonderland #3: The Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter's Tea Party. Lots of oddness in this one. Again, I feel like I really ought to read the original novel to understand what's happening in this. I also think this book is clearly been designed with the collection in mind, as the cut-off points aren't cliff-hangers... the action just stops. The Mad Hatter looks like Jay Leno. 3 starfish

Action Philosophers #5: "Hate The French!": Rene Descartes, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jacques Derrida. If you have any interest at all in being educated by your comic books, GET THIS SERIES. Each issue stands completely on its own, so you don't have to read them in order or anything. But every single story tells you a good little bit about each figure being discussed. It's a short bio with a chunk of their ideas condensed into it. Each one is a great introduction to the ideas of individual thinkers throughout the ages. The pieces are short and easy to understand, even if you despair of ever truly getting the philosophies being discussed. And as an added bonus, they are all hilarious, too. Go get this one. Fun and educational. There's not much more you can be asking for from a comic book. 4 starfish

0 comments: