Friday, April 14, 2006

Review Copy Reviews

Boom! Studios once again sends me a bunch of books, and once again it takes me entirely too long to review them. The bunch of books this time was fantastic, particularly Planetary Brigade.

Zombie Tales: The Dead #1: Yet another Zombie book! I keep mentioning that I don't like zombie stories, they keep sending these, and I keep really enjoying them! I don't have much to say about this one, except that it was an enjoyable anthology. People who actually like reading about zombies will enjoy it even more, I suspect. There were a couple of bombs, but most of the stories were very good. I liked the first one, yet another possible origin of the zombies, the best. 2 1/2 starfish

Zombie Tales: Death Valley #2: I'm glad they sent me the first part of this one, as the second part wouldn't stand well on its own. Again, it's a good book... if you like zombies. The whole thing hangs together well, and the ending is surprisingly nice. Worth a read if you get the chance, but be sure to grab the first part too. 2 1/2 starfish

War of the Worlds: Second Wave #1: Nasty nasty nasty. I'm surprised at how much I liked this one. I really wanted to read more. The cliffhanger left me wanting. But this was mostly just a set-up issue... although it's got definite painful moments. If nothing else, it makes you wonder how you would react in a disaster. 2 1/2 starfish

Jeremiah Harm #2: When I read the first page, I was sure it was happening on an alien planet. I was rather surprised that it's supposed to be Earth. No human, not even a junkie, looks like that. The artwork on this book is not to my tastes at all. However, the storyline isn't too bad if you like bounty hunter kind of stories. All-in-all, not my kind of book. But it works for what it is. 2 1/2 starfish

Planetary Brigade #1: "The Power and the Portal": Ah, straight up superhero fun! This is more to my liking! And this is fun. This is practically a Silver Age tale (and I mean that in the most positive way possible, being a big fan of the era). It's got light-hearted banter, exciting heroes, and a serious problem that they've got to solve. Run out and get a copy of this today, if you are a super-hero fan at all. 3 1/2 starfish

Planetary Brigade #2: "Hole in the World": The second part of a two-part story. Again, excellent book. You learn a lot about the team just through their interactions with each other. The art is perfect all through (and there are a number of artists who worked on this one). The writing is snappy. And I think I really like Mr Brilliant. I want to shop at his comic store. Fun all around. 3 1/2 starfish

0 comments: