Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Being Human (US): "The End of the World As We Know It" - After getting used to the UK version, it's time to watch the US version (it's Sally, Josh, and Aidan, with Bishop, not Annie, George, and Mitchell with Herrick). This episode follows a couple of the plotlines from the UK version, but adds some new massive twists. Including the identity of one of the vampires. This could be a good one.
  • Being Human (US): "It Takes Two to Make a Thing Go Wrong" - This one diverges more from the original, and I suspect it'll diverge a lot more as the season goes on. I'm particularly enjoying Sally's plotline and her desire for revenge. The addition of Josh's sister is a nice little twist, though that ending, hrm.

  • Sapphire and Steel: "Assignment Five: Dr. McDee Must Die" - That was a surprisingly good story. A rich man decides to recreate 1930 for the 50th anniversary of his company, only he has unexpected guests. Although I understood the ending, I'm not entirely sure I understood how it was supposedly being accomplished by Sapphire's time tricks. Still, it had the feel of an Agatha Christie murder mystery with the added bonus of the paranormal. I liked it.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • February 2nd
  • Brightest Day #19 - The Aquawar starts, and the thing happens to Aquaman that had been thoroughly spoiled for me long before the book arrived at my house, much less before I had a chance to read it. I don't know what to think, yet. But I don't like how this is trending.
  • JSA All-Stars #15 - A little bit of Cyclone, a little bit of an interesting plot, but I sure want to see what happens next. That's a good thing, I guess.
  • Batman Beyond #2 - Aquagirl has the sweets for Terry! I like how Bruce's methods don't really work as well as they could for Terry. This ought to be a fun run.
  • Ozma of Oz #4 - Ozma deals with Langwidere. I absolutely LOVE Billina's reaction to the Hungry Tiger.
  • Oz/Wonderland Kids #1 - Nice little crossover, but the cutesy hint-dropping got annoying fast.
  • Emerald City Comicon Swag - A book from Dark Horse, a book from Image, and three books from DC.
  • BPRD Hell on Earth: Seattle - Ah, best opening panel I've seen in ages. Not that I *want* Pike Place Market to be destroyed, just that it managed to give me goosebumps. Great little slice of life tale that somehow is able to give a lot of information in very few pages. Good stuff.
  • The Intrepids #1 - A bit of a disjointed style, not the kind I like, but decent enough art and a fun storyline. Some folks will certainly love it.
  • Batman Inc #1 - I admit it, I'm almost hooked by this. But not quite. The interplay between Batman and Catwoman almost put me over the edge, as did the body language of the henches in some panels.
  • DC Universe Online Legends #1 - Inspired by the game, but not really terribly inspired. I'm glad I didn't bother to order this.
  • Batwoman #0 - Nice done-in-one, with Batman attempting to learn the identity of Batwoman. Good stuff, really, from a comic fan's perspective.
  • Superboy #1 - Well, that nicely establishes the character in Smallville, adds some ominous possibilities, and ends on a fun cliffhanger. Not a bad issue at all.
  • February 9th
  • Green Lantern Emerald Warriors #7 - Well, that makes things a little better. I guess I'm not so peeved at Kilowog after all.
  • Birds of Prey #9 - Nice cliffhanger. Still not happy with Hawk's involvement. But I expected what happened with Canary.
  • Knight & Squire #5 - Oh, this is bad. This is very very bad. I mean what happens in the book, not the quality. Oh my. Something interesting is going to happen in that finale. I want this to be an ongoing.
  • DC Universe Legacies #9 - Ah, it's time to revisit the annual crossovers! Not much by way of Aquaman, sadly.
  • All New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #4 - This issue was so much fun, from start to finish... I loved Aquaman getting pumped when the action started.
  • Northlanders #37 - Not how you'd expect a siege commander to act, but it looks like there's some interesting action coming with this one.
  • Doctor Who Classics Series 4 #1 - Ah, Frobisher and the Seventh Doctor. I'm never sure when these take place. I've definitely read this story before, though it's been a very very long time.
  • Spongebob Comics #1 - Yay! Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy! And a few comics about SpongeBob, too.
  • PS238 #48 - As fun as the parallel universe storyline is, and don't get me wrong, it's fun, I'd rather read about the Tyler and Ron on the spaceship. Though Alexandria's storyline has caught me a little, as well.
  • February 16th
  • Brightest Day #20 - Jackson and Lorena, huh? Not a bad pairing for a bit of a friendship. As for the White Lantern and Aquaman... that's not going to last, is it. And no, I'm not asking.
  • Green Lantern #62 - Hal's a bit of an idiot in this one.
  • Green Lantern Corps #57 - Ok, I think I understand who the enemy is. Maybe. I'm not sure. And yeah, nobody won, did they?
  • Justice League of America #54 - I wonder if I would enjoy this more or less if I had ever read all the Eclipso stuff from before?
  • Young Justice #1 - Ghosts? Superboy is still a puzzle. And not enough Aqualad.
  • Tiny Titans #37 - The Shazam Family, and not the Marvel Family. I'm mildly amused. I loved the super-pets updates.
  • DMZ #62 - And into the final act. I have to wonder what Matty is going to say to that offer. If anything.
  • Fables #102 - I love Ozma's costume. Just love it. I don't really understand what's going on, as the last issue was about a non-flying monkey and this issue refers to previous events, but Ozma's costume makes up for it.
  • Soldier Zero #5 - That's telepathic paper taken to the extreme.
  • February 23rd
  • Action Comics #898 - And Larfleeze learns a lesson while we finally see who's pulling the strings. I am enjoying this storyline, but I still don't think Lex could be quite as oblivious as he seems.
  • Justice Society of America #48 - Well, this storyline is almost over, and that's probably a good thing.
  • Power Girl #21 - Is the Max Lord thing nearly over? I'm more interested in the bits happening while PG is off trying to deal with the JLI and stuff. I think that is, to some extent, the whole point.
  • Oz/Wonderland Chronicles Jack & Cat Tales #2 - This book would be so much easier to read if it came out regularly and didn't have so many different titles. As it is, I'm so lost I'm only guessing at the plot based on the contextual clues.
  • March 2nd
  • Brightest Day #21 - That bit of Aquaman on the first page... literally "bit of Aquaman"... was fairly disturbing. Why didn't that go the way of the rest of him, huh? I like how Mera is just shocked, more than anything.
  • Green Lanterns #63 - So, is this a rewrite of the history of the Green Lantern Corps? Nice and colorful, but I'm not sure if I care.
  • Batman Beyond #3 - Yay Aquagirl! I like how she faced down Warhawk, and I'm amused by the angle the artist chose for it.
  • Powers #7 - Ah, things are pulling together for me with this issue. Not sure why. Maybe I've reached some sort of Powers critical mass.
  • Doctor Who Classics Series 4 #2 - The end of the previous story, then two shorts. Including an appearance of Death's Head, which I had always wanted to read in its entirety.
  • Doorways #4 - Good ending, if predictable in spots. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this series.
  • Oz Primer - Thanks to being married to one of the continent's biggest Oz fans, I already knew a lot of what's in this book, including some of the information revealed in Eric Shanower's interview (I *saw* him play The Shaggy Man in the ballet, for instance). But for anyone who doesn't have as close a relationship to Oz as me, this is definitely worth picking up. And for those who do, there are two great interviews with the creators of the book, so pick it up anyway.
  • Usagi Yojimbo #135 - Ah, a character that gives everyone the creeps, including Usagi. As usual, the quality of this book remains sterling, and I pity anyone who doesn't get it and read it regularly.
Ok, I can hardly believe this, but I'm actually caught up on my comic book reading. I'm not sure when my next DCBS shipment is, but I think I have another week or two to read other comic related material in my "to read" piles before I get more of the single issues.



0 comments: