Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Doctor Who: "Listen" - Massive logical error to start the episode. There is no perfect hunter, nor is there a perfect defense. So the following notion doesn't follow. Follow? From that moment on I wasn't sure what to make of the episode. I'm afraid there were a couple of plot holes that really bothered me, so it wasn't a satisfying show... but the dialogue and acting almost made up for it.

    Ok, some thoughts... Danny and Clara are really having a rough time to start, aren't they? I enjoyed the trip into the past. Particularly the speech the Doctor gave Rupert:
    Let me tell you about scared. Your heart is beating so hard I can feel it through your hands. There's so much blood and oxygen pumping through your brain it's like rocket fuel. Right now you can run faster and fight harder and jump higher than ever in your life, and you're so alert it's like you can slow down time. What's wrong with scared? Scared is a superpower. It's your superpower. There is danger in this room and guess what, it's you.
    Pure music. That's something worth listening to. The dialogue was pretty sharp in this episode, with a lot of quotable bits. I also like creepy nursery rhymes, and here's another one for my collection:
    What's that in the mirror, or the corner of your eye?
    What's the footstep following, but never passing by?
    Perhaps they're all just waiting, perhaps when we're all dead.
    Out they'll come a-slithering, from underneath the bed.
    Any time I get some new stuff for my quotefile I'm happy. Ok, there's also some stuff that really bothered me. (SPOILER ALERT!) Also, (END SPOILER) In short there's a few things that weren't answered by the nice little wrap-up that Clara gave. Either there was more going on... or they all had perfectly logical reasons that weren't ever explained to the audience. That's kind of annoying. So, while it's still better than 99.9% of the rest of television, this wasn't the best episode as a total package.




DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Aug 13th
  • Justice League United #4 - Ok, that's just a crummy situation for Adam and Alanna. But at least the book is beginning to make sense. For some of these books, they are writing for the trade... maybe I should go to waiting for the trade.
  • World's Finest #26 - So they're home, but they left some surprises behind... I get why Helena is more than a little upset at their choice. What's she going to think when she meets Batman?
  • Green Lantern Corps #34 - Well, didn't expect that ending. I thought she'd just kill him. So, all's well that ends well?
  • Smallville Chaos #1 - So... let me get this straight... Lois and Superman are in an alternate universe while Eclipso is becoming a threat at home? Ok, got it. I think DC has been doing an awful lot of alternate universe stories lately.
  • Astro City #14 - I'm pulling for the old lady, which is what we're supposed to do. But I really wonder how she got to the point where the story started.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #2 - Ah, Miguel... two women in your life already and you are barely hanging out in 2014... what a charmer.
  • Spongebob Comics #35 - I am really enjoying the Mermaid Man story, as goofy as it is. The bit with the submarine is really quite amusing. I'm curious, though a little scared, to see what the conclusion will be.
  • Aug 20th
  • Multiversity #1 - Strange but awesome. I want more of Aquawoman of Earth-11.
  • Trinity of Sin: Pandora #14 - That's one of the strangest team-ups I've ever seen, but it works pretty well.
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #34 - Wow, that's a bummer. Not to mention fairly gross. It appears that DC may have inadvertently created a great jumping off point for the DCU with Future's End one shots...
  • Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #2 - Oooh, polybagged. As for the story, it's moving along nicely. It no longer seems quite as familiar. I very much like the knight lantern. Just wish there was an Aquaman variant. All the Bat-variants bore me.
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked #8 - Shadow-Aquaman is not nearly as cute as the regular Scribblenaut Aquaman. I would like to see the regular one back again. Oh, and the story is good. Can't wait to see the residents of Limbo in action.
  • Teen Titans Go #5 - Hey, this one starts out with Aquaman being prank-called. A fun little book. Glad to see Aquaman, even if it's just a shadow.
  • Fables #143 - Oh, poor Bigby. But hey, superhero Ozma! There's some fun bits in this one, but it's mostly a severe downer.
  • Litle Nemo: Return to Slumberland #1 - I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is really cool. I wonder how the kid will fit in once he finally gets to where he's headed.
  • Steampunk BSG 1880 #1 - I like when a version of a universe takes the initial premise and runs with it. If it sticks too close to the original, it can get boring fast. But it's a fine line. So far, this book is racing right along that line. Fun!



0 comments: