Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Doctor Who: "Time Heist" - I really liked the shapeshifter character, she was cool. Nicely dramatic episode, with plenty of good moments. Not as quotable as the last one, but still filled with moments that hit you hard. The deaths were particularly like punches in the guts. There were some nice Easter Eggs in there as well... at least twice there were scenes of screenscrolling through dossiers, certainly something fans will be freeze-framing to find out who got name-checked. Overall, not the best, but a fairly solid episode.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Aug 27th
  • Aquaman #34 - That is one of the nastiest villains we've seen. There are lots of aspects that can make this guy worthwhile as a returning baddie, but also as a possible ally. With all those conflicts, this guy could go any which way. A lot depends on whether or not he's sane in the end.
  • Secret Origins #5 - Cyborg, meh. Red Hood, double-meh. Mera! Yeah, that's an interesting filling in of the details of what Mera went through to prepare to kill the king of Atlantis. Pity he's got those ugly sideburns, but hey, at least she falls for him and not for the dip who wanted her at home.
  • Sinestro #5 - Well, that ties up a few loose ends. But those poor survivors. What a crappy life they've got ahead of them with Sinestro as their boss.
  • Batman '66 #14 - Robot Batman, the crimefighter of the future! Yay! Or rather, oops. Fun to see Riddler and Joker playing a Captain Kirk on logic circuits.
  • Batman Beyond Universe #13 - Oooh, we're finally getting into the history that broke up the bat-family, along with some very present pains with Terry's own history and life. This is actually pretty darn good! I miss the Justice League side of the story, but I'll live.
  • Doctor Who 10th #2 - I'm beginning to really like Gabby. The monsters of the piece are also a neat touch. But the thing that made my jaw drop was actually the final three pages of the book itself... a gallery of all the Issue #1s, more than 80, many of them variations for specific comic shops. Really funny. I'm glad I'm not into variant covers, generally speaking.
  • Groo vs Conan #2 - I'm beginning to see how terrifying Groo is. But the Sergio storyline is almost as awesome. Then we get a fantasy within a fantasy within a fantasy when the villager is talking about the fight.
  • Kang & Kodos #1 - If you like the Simpsons aliens, you will probably enjoy this. If you don't... well, don't get it, silly.
  • Star Trek: Harlan Ellison's City on the Edge of Forever #3 - This just gets more and more interesting as it goes on. The differences are both striking... and not. I'm eager to see how it plays out.
  • Steed and Mrs. Peel: Needed #2 - Pretty good, but I'm wary of anything that tries to go too far with this pair. I wish there was a reminder of what happened in the previous issue in this one, it was hard to pick up and remember.
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Warlord of Oz #4 - Yet another book that I think I ought to read in one big sitting, because I'm really losing track of the different characters in this one. Still, it holds together better than the last issue.
It looks like it may be awhile before I get my next DCBS shipment, so comics reviews will be limited over the next couple of weeks. Maybe I'll finally review a couple of trades we've gotten over the past few months.



0 comments: