Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Sunday Review

Getting way behind again. I'll catch up eventually.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Oct 8th
  • Justice League United #5 - I like the new characters, but I hope they make sure Alanna and Miiyahbin stay distinct. Right now the costumes are way too similar. I forget, is this version of Martian Manhunter originally Justice League, or did he belong to some secret organization, or was it something else entirely? I'm getting confused.
  • World's Finest #27 - The slightly different origins of Superman and Batman on Earth 2... ok, I get it. Interesting stuff. I like elseworld-type stories. This one qualifies for me.
  • Earth 2 #27 - This definitely compliments the World's Finest issue. So, Kara and Val, huh? I really wish we could have afforded to get the Earth Two weekly.
  • Green Lantern Corps #35 - If I had any notion that the New Gods were supposed to be good guys, this book takes that away. Not impressed.
  • Arrow: Season 2.5 #1 - Reading this after I'm halfway through the new season means I'm getting whiplash from trying to remember the status quo from before the season started. I kind of wish I'd read this online as it came out.
  • Smallville Chaos #3 - More and more chaotic. This book keeps popping the surprises out at you. Lex is a particularly annoying surprise in this one.
  • Astro City #16 - This one hits you in the feels. (I think I used that slang right). It's a really good story, one that I think I'll probably read again. And hey, the last page reminds us of that other ongoing arc. Good stuff.
  • Spongebob Comics #37 - All about dreams. I just wish we'd seen more of Mermaid Man.
  • Tales of Honor #5 - I really enjoyed the source material for this series, which is why the series itself is so disappointing. It just isn't an adaptation: it's an illustrated retelling. The note in the back about doing something that is "less a pure adaptation" is good news. Perhaps they will actually take advantage of the comic book form.
  • Doctor Who 10th #3 - I'm liking Gabby more and more. She's really together for a person who feels helpless in life. There was some intensity in this story as well, along with nods to the Weeping Angels. Fun. This is a great book.
  • Oddly Normal #1 - I first read Oddly Normal in 2005 or so, and I loved it then. It's pretty good on the second go-round as well. I hope we get a LOT more of this book.
  • Oct 15th
  • Justice League #35 - Aquaman's at ground zero in this one. Literally. I enjoyed his bit, even if the general Lex Luthor plot is mildly boring. I'll be pretty annoyed if Aquaman is out of the story due to whatever the virus is.
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #35 - So Kyle-god meets Highfather-god and fun ensues? I'm still not impressed.
  • Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #4 - Back to Cyborg, The Flash and Zatanna! And what a world they've ended up in. I really want to see that universe's Aquaman. The story then shifts to where the threat is from. Also cool, also a case of me wanting to see Aquaman. There really isn't enough Aquaman in this book.
  • Teen Titans Go #6 - This is a fun book, despite the dumbed down versions of the characters. I like all the background characters in the bowling alley.
  • Fables #145 - So, they faced the wolf. Still not certain how Bigby's tale is going to play out. I wish we'd seen Snow face him.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #5 - Wow, a crossover I'm not interested in. Pity I didn't realize that when I ordered it. Maybe I would have skipped it. Although, Peter David generally manages to make even crossover issues slightly interesting.
  • Peanuts V2 #22 - Ah, lots of fun. I like the classic strips in this one.
  • Doctor Who 12th #1 - So, this is probably one of the many adventures she's seen having with the Doctor while hiding her activities from Danny. Not bad... I'm still vastly amused by the extreme number of alternate covers Titan is putting out, and happy that I have no desire to get them all.



0 comments: