Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Dec 24th
  • Aquaman #37 - Every time Aquaman's mother turns up, the story goes to crap. So far it hasn't, but I'm not really holding out much hope here. I like the "new" history of Gorilla City. There's some good stuff here. If only I wasn't absolutely certain I'm going to hate it when she actually appears.
  • Secret Origins #8 - Dick Grayson, Animal Man and Katana? I'm not interested in any of them, really, and these new origins are rather... um... Let's just say Animal Man has gone completely off the rails and Katana has never made less sense.
  • Harley Quinn #13 - Um. Wow. I'm really not sure how to feel about this book. It's both wonderful and awful at the same time. And the cause of Power Girl getting her memory back. Wow. I think I need a brain scrubber.
  • Red Lanterns #37 - So, we're finally moving into the endgame. I like Simon, and I'm not a Guy hater, but I'm really tired of this storyline.
  • Sinestro #8 - Wow, annoying Sinestro saves the day? At least, that's what seems to be happening here.
  • Green Lantern Annual #3 - Ah, that's where Sinestro redirected the thing. That makes sense. He was actually still following the plan. Which I'd forgotten about since it happened so long ago. And Kyle is doomed? Nifty.
  • Batman '66 #18 - Yay, a Batgirl story. That was fun, if really odd. The Archer story was even funnier. Yeah, I'm sure that could be done while he was distracted by a joust. Yup. Only in Gotham.
  • Doctor Who 12th #3 - I love it when time really comes into play. Don't get me wrong, a good set piece in a particular place and time is fine, but sometimes the aspects of time travel really rev a story up. This one has that potential.
  • Jan 7th
  • Aquaman and the Others #9 - I agree with Cole. They need to catalogue those guys hanging out in Torrez.
  • Green Lantern #38 - Poor Hal. He gets a little time off and Guy has to come and make it interesting.
  • Earth 2 #30 - Ah. Avatars of the various elementals. I wonder how this will play out? I was certain that Aquawoman would be the avatar of the The Blue. Strange how that didn't work the way I expected.
  • Justice League 3000 #13 - A new ally? I wonder if bringing Booster and Blue into this would make it even sillier? Probably. But the promise of the splash page has me waiting for the next issue.
  • Flash: Season Zero #4 - How many people are they going to lock up in that prison before the inevitable prison break happens? Interesting use of Dr. Wells' future-tech, though.
  • Scooby-Doo Team-Up #8 - As goofy as this book is, it's fun to take the nostalgic trip through my childhood cartoons. Though in some ways the return to the "present" was the best moment of this issue.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #7 - This is still part of the really annoying Spider-verse crossover, so I'm not entirely sure what's happening. I like the steampunk Spiderwoman, but honestly, without a plotline I can follow, this isn't really appealing.
  • Doctor Who 11th #6 - This is a really difficult read. I think it's worth it, mostly... but it's still difficult to read. I feel like I missed something about Jones in there, though.
  • Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #6 - Wow, that's a ... a ... bookend, perhaps. It's a way to complete the Usagi Yojimbo saga without requiring a stop. It's a simple story, but so much more. Wow. Sakai is a master at his craft.
  • Fiction Squad #4 - Nice frame up. Frankie really isn't that great a detective, is he?

0 comments: