Sunday, February 10, 2019

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jun 6th
  • One and a half StarfishJustice League #1 - Something happened in a crossover I didn't buy or read that resulted in something to do with the Source Wall, and now we jump - with a first issue - into an incomprehensible epic storyline that I have utterly no interest in at all that is totally lacking a proper backstory. Oh DC, you can do better than this.
  • Three StarfishGreen Lanterns #48 - Ok, I thought the Green Lanterns were after Jessica because she somehow altered her ring. But now we've got her on the run because she blacked out or something? It's all very strange, and not nearly as bad as I was afraid it would be.
  • Three StarfishBombshells United #19 - Ah, this must be the final issue, because it pretty much wraps up the entire series and includes a little "where are they now?" epilogue. The last few issues seemed rushed to me, but I very much enjoyed Aquawoman and Atlantis in this series, so I'll forgive it the later flaws. Speaking of, Aquawoman and Arthur show up again in a single panel, and are mentioned in the epilogue.
  • Two and a half StarfishDoctor Strange #1 - The pretentiousness of the text in describing Doctor Strange put me off more than a bit, to the point where I just didn't feel like reading it after the first two times I read "the magician" and just wanted to reach in and smack the narrator. Irritating reading, but a potentially interesting plot.
  • Two and a half StarfishThe Tick #4 - Did we actually learn anything at all about his origin, or was it just a chaotic mess? I'm really not certain. I'm still kind of reeling from all the clowns and ninjas and new heroes and stuff. This book is strange.

  • Jun 13th
  • Four StarfishPlastic Man #1 - Well, this is a goofy start, which is excellent for this particular character. I don't have a lot to say about the issue just because it works. On every level of what I know about the character and the current DC Universe, it just works. If I were a bigger Plastic Man fan I'm sure I'd be jumping for joy at it, but as it is I'm amused and pleased. And what more can you ask for from a comic book?
  • Three StarfishTitans Special #1 - I'm not sure why we bought this book. Possibly because we thought Garth might be in it? In any case, it holds very little interest to me, except as a way of twisting my mind because I'm currently rewatching Young Justice and this has echoes of some of those storylines. Right. In any case, it's just part of the big crossover event I ignored. On to the next.
  • Three and a half StarfishScooby Apocalypse #26 - Six month time jump after the events of the previous issue, which were definitely shocking. My least favorite character in the Scooby-verse makes a return, but there's enough mystery building up with all the references to the dead that I'm wondering where the story is headed. So, a good issue, overall.
  • Four StarfishSpongeBob Comics #81 - Ah! Finally, an issue with a Mermaid Man story! And one that makes an interesting point about secret identities. No, not all superheroes have secret identities. In fact, some of those with secret identities rely on the fact that others don't have them to make having a secret identity seem unreasonable. Anyone would think being Superman is a full-time job, right? The twist was a tiny bit unexpected for me, but does it mean SpongeBob thinks like a villain? A fun issue for me.
  • Three and a half StarfishBack To The Future: Tales from the Time Train #6 - All well that ends well, I guess. It was a nice wrap-up with most of the characters getting enough time to sort out their fates. I was amused at the "mysterious stranger" and how Doc Brown reacted to meeting him (and his dog). Overall, the issue isn't bad, although the series was about two issues too long for me.

0 comments: