Thursday, April 29, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 28 April 2004 - Part I

JLA #97: Gah. Lame cliff-hanger, lame characterizations, even the art was poor. Not worth picking up. 2 starfish

Green Lantern #176: Promising start, but not much more than that. So, he's home. He even tells us how he got home (but we don't get to see it, despite it sounding more interesting than 90% of the rest of the issue). How many more issues until this version goes "poof!" and vanishes? 2 1/2 starfish

Well, since the superheroes aren't doing it for me this week, maybe there will be something worth reading in the AIT/Planet Lar box... round and round and round she goes... First up is White Death. I actually read that one several day ago and had trouble writing anything about it, so I have also read Jax Epoch and the Quicken Forbidden. Here's the rapid reviews:

White Death by Rob Morrison and Charlie Adlard: I'm really disturbed by this one. It's a horrible war story, but it's both well written and well drawn. It's deeply disturbing. It's about what happens to people during war, and I had to sit on this one awhile after reading it, because I couldn't think of anything to say about it. It was like a punch in the gut. I still am not sure whether I liked it or not. It did make me think, and for that reason I'm going to recommend it. 3 1/2 starfish

Jax Epoch and the Quicken Forbidden: Borrowed Magic by Dave Roman and John Green: This is another "loaner"... I'm sure my copy will meet many hands. Jax accidentally journeys to another realm while chasing a rabbit, and finds some funky-looking armor and a magic book. Upon returning to the "real" world, she discovers that nothing is quite the same anymore. And that's just how it starts. My first thought upon finishing this was "where's the second volume? I NEED the next volume NOW." I think that's a sign of enjoyment, yeah. In short, this one is highly recommended, and I would also like to know when the next volume is coming out. Until then, this website has a handful of Jax stories to tide me over. But you, YOU need to go out and buy this one now. 4 1/2 starfish

Still to review: Way of the Rat, Noble Causes, Conan, Birds of Prey, Harley & Ivy, Escapist, Usagi Yojimbo, and Abadazad.