Thursday, May 06, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 5 May 2004 - Part II

Swamp Thing #3: Yuck. That's for the cover, and a lot of the interior art. Yuck. This was a gross issue. And the art didn't work for me partly because of that. This issue just seemed less impressive than the first two, and less seemed to happen. I guess I'll just wait and see what the next issue is like, but this one I'm neutral on. 3 starfish

Superman: Birthright #10: Give me a different artist, and I might have actually enjoyed this series. But every issue just serves to remind me that I don't much like Yu's artwork for some reason. Then there's this utterly nonsensical plotline about Lex convincing everyone that Superman is the scout for an invasion, which Lex is apparently pretending to stage... It's a mess. 3 starfish

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular: Lots of good stuff in here, but I'm mildly disappointed that the first two are ones that have been reprinted many many times. I also noticed at least one error in the Checklist of DC Heroes... Aquaman's first appearance was More Fun #73, not 70. At least the month and year are correct. So, except for the error and for the reprinting of two easy-to-find stories, this was a good package, and I really hope they do a lot more. 4 starfish

Overall, a disappointing week saved by the 100-pager and the AIT/Planet Lar box. Next week's books (as of the latest available list): Smallville, Aquaman, Fallen Angel, Green Arrow, H-E-R-O, JLA, and JSA... an all-DC list?