Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Flipping Through Previews...

AAAAAUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!Yes, it's that time again... time for "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". I'm going to start with the bulk of the book, and then come back and cover the "big four" at the end. Please remember, I'm listing what looks interesting. My actual purchase list is going to be much smaller. The numbers after each title are usually the page number in Previews Magazine, so you can follow along at home.

Let's start with the covers. Both covers seem a bit stylish to me. The Blue Beetle cover is great, and I'm almost tempted to get it just from the cover alone. Call me curious, but that's a great look. The Conan cover is also powerful. Thoth... I know what Thoth is, I think. And for some strange reason the name "Kurt Busiek" is likely to make me happy right now. Neither cover is embarrassing. No naked women or badly drawn robots on this one. Makes for a nice change.

Moving on, let's hit the Splash Page (8-9). Nothing jumps out at me except maybe the continued promotion for A Nightmare Before Christmas, which I thought was a good movie, with great music, but not so wonderful that it justifies more merchandise years later.

The big Previews Readership Survey takes up pages 12-14. I wonder if it would be worth it to write and ask them to put less T&A in the book? Too bad there's not an on-line version.

The theme for the month, seen on pages 16-17, is "Video Game Tie-In". That's just about the lamest theme I've seen yet.

Jumping ahead, we get to the "Comics & Graphic Novels" section, starting with the Featured Items on pages 202-205. I'm irritated enough by Hero Squared that I'm not certain we'll be getting the ongoing. I'm getting less and less tolerant of series that don't have a definite end. Maybe that's why part of me really welcomes Busiek's take on Aquaman, and the idea that even superheroes can retire. A book I do find tempting is Banana Sunday, which I've heard really good things about.

And into the main crowd of books we go, tra-la-la.

The first ad that really caught my eye (in a positive way) had a quote from Entertainment Weekly: "A gorilla with a jetpack really is the second best idea in the history of comics." I giggled, then looked to see the title and who was publishing it. I should've known. It's another AiT/Planet Lar (215) book, called Sky Ape.

Alias (215-218) has the next book I noticed. Chrono Mechanics looks almost up my alley. I'm not sure it will make the list, I wanted more of a preview than we got. But it does look interesting.

A somewhat unexpected find was from the Anne Frank Center USA (223), a graphic novel called A Family Secret which is about a boy who discovers how the Holocaust affected his family. This is certainly one to give a second look.

Next up is Antarctic Press (223-226). I'll be getting Alice in Wonderland #2, and will continue to hope that they do another adaptation of an Oz book. There are fourteen written by Baum...

I've already said I'm uncertain if we'll get the Hero Squared Ongoing from Boom! Studios (236-238). I'm sure hubby-Eric and I will discuss it once we start putting the list together.

Clib's Boy Comics (241) on the other hand, is a no-brainer. I will get True Story, Swear To God #17, and I recommend it to all of you too. I wish I had an extra copy of the trades, because I have a good friend who is from Puerto Rico, and I really want to give this to her. I've just been too lazy to get another copy so far.

Lots of page flipping here... next up is IDW Publishing (279-286). I'll get Angel: Old Friends #5. I decided against getting other Buffy/Angel books, and I'll probably wait for trades from here on out, at least until I've finished watching the TV show. I'll also get Fallen Angel #4, and no doubt continue to wonder what it is about the book that keeps me coming back. I was unable to buy Brian Wood's Supermarket last month, but I'll mention that the second issue is in this Previews, and Wood can be very very good. Keep your eyes open for this one.

Illusive Productions (287) will be getting our money for Dorothy #6, as we haven't missed an issue yet, nor been disappointed. This book continues to break new ground, and the crew are a nice bunch as well. If you haven't tried this one, go wander through their website and take a look.

My friend David doesn't want to miss any issues of The Phantom, and Moonstone Books (294-295) has two books this month that I'll be looking at.

Narwain Publishing (295-298) has a couple of books that look mildly interesting. Liz has that paranormal aspect that always draws me in, but does the lead really have to be a dancer in a men's club? Un-Human also looks good, but I need a bit more to go on before I'm inclined to buy it.

Oni Press (299-302) may get my money. I keep hearing about how great Banana Sunday is, and I really want to give it a read. Well, the trade is being solicited, so I may just have to get it. I don't see any new issues of Local, so that would be it.

And that concludes the regular comic book section... Let's go to the non-comics stuff before jumping back to the rest...

On page 379: The Manga Guide To Sudoku. I'm just about dying of laughter here. The store I work at got wiped out of Sudoku for Christmas. It was a very popular gift, apparently. And it's a fun logic puzzle. Seems only natural to combine it with Manga.

And so it's time to head back to the beginning of the book. Time for the big four, and the bulk of my regular order. Let's start with Image this month...

Image Comics (133-173). Let's see, Lions, Tigers & Bears vol 2 #1 is tempting. Might get on our list. Truth, Justin, and the American Way involves Aaron Williams, one of my favorite creators, but the art does nothing for me. I'll have to discuss this one with hubby-Eric. And that's it for Image this month.

Marvel Comics (180). I know my husband is interested in both Amazing Spider-Man and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but I'm not sure about either of them. We'll probably get Powers.

Dark Horse (21-56). Ug. Another Conan mini. On the other hand, it's by Busiek... I'm not sure about it, but I'll probably get Conan: Book or Thoth. I'll also get Conan #26. What can I say? I like heroic fantasy. I wish somebody would do a Jirel of Joiry series. Red Sonja is a poser. *ahem* Let's see, I'll also be getting Usagi Yojimbo, and we might get the next Star Wars: Clone War Adventures book as well.

And finally, we get to DC Comics. Is anyone else as totally grossed out by the American Virgin cover, so much so that you don't even want to look at the DC previews because of it? Maybe it's just hitting some primal "ick" node in me, but I actively HATE that image.

Batman (61-70): Nothing for myself.

Superman (71-75): Nothing for myself.

DC Universe (76-95): Well, I can't help but get Infinite Crisis #6, as it would be silly to stop now. And I've already made it abundantly clear that I love the idea behind Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #40, so that's on the list.

Kind of funny, JLA has been cancelled, right, but there's still Classified, and there are two issues this month, JLA: Classified #18 and JLA: Classified #19. We'll still get JSA #83, and JSA: Classified #10.

I'm glad Simone is staying on Birds of Prey #92, and I'm happy to see my friend Robin Riggs on the book, too. Green Lantern #10 will make the list.

I'm not sure we'll stick with the Legion now that it's Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #16. Then again, it's still Mark Waid, so it's not like it'll be bad or anything. It's just adding a character I don't have an interest in.

And lastly, will we or won't we get Blue Beetle #1? We'll just have to see once we get the list going.

Johnny DC/DC Library/CMX (96-103): Justice League Unlimited #19 looks like a Western. Fun fun fun.

Wildstorm (104-112): Nothing this month.

Vertigo (113-123): Just Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere #7.

DC Direct (124-132): Nothing, thank goodness, but I almost hope they do a Kingdom Come Aquaman.

And there it is... all of Previews. I'm finally all the way through. Huzzah. So that's it for this month's "Things in Previews That Look Interesting But I Can't Afford To Get (with a list of things I am getting just for contrast)". Comments? Questions? Did I miss any really cool books that you know about and would like to point out? Do you disagree with something I wrote, and want to correct me? There's the comments, right below. Post something. And, yes, I accept review copies. I'm willing to give almost anything a try.

Note: I've posted a mostly Oz-focused version of this at The Wonderful Blog of Oz.

Previous Flipping Through Previews:

0 comments: