Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Rapid Reviews - 18 January 2006 - Part I

Infinite Crisis #4: "Homecoming": Lots of lots of action in this one, but not as much by way of revelations as the previous issue. Superboy... wow, some action there. I don't really know what else to say. Nothing about Atlantis in this one, so not much for me to be excited about. I do wonder how much duplication is going to happen between the two earths. Of course, that kind of question may well be very premature. 2 1/2 starfish

Action Comics #835: "A Contagion of Madness": Is this the first appearance of Livewire in the regular DCU? I like the character, it's nice how it all fit in with the existing story, but Byrne's art seemed completely wrong for Livewire. Ah well. A fun story, despite the art. 2 1/2 starfish

Flash #230: "Last Man Standing": Is this the final issue? The "Next Issue" box misleadingly says "The Flash #231" and calls that the final issue. Not very useful to readers who don't get Previews and can't check. It continues the boring story from the last few issues. Not impressive. 2 starfish

Phantom #9: "Slave Trade" part one of two: Nice illustration of how good intentions don't always end up in good results. I'm looking forward to the next part of this one. I want to see if the lessons are taken to heart. 3 1/2 starfish

PS238 #14: This is the only issue of this series so far that I read and then, instead of gleeing and telling everyone to go read it, had to sit back and think about it for a long time. This one needs previous issues to understand the full implications, and the final page nearly made me cry. I want the next issue NOW!!!!! 4 starfish

Noble Causes #16: It sure seems like everything pulled together in this issue... but of course things are never as they seem in your standard soap opera. And this has a lot of aspects of the soap opera. I didn't like the flashback style of telling the story in this one. It made the book a little too disjointed. Overall, no bad. 3 starfish

0 comments: