Monday, September 18, 2006

Pasta, Rants, and Links

Holy Pasta Week
Sep 15-19 is "Holy Pasta Week"

Understanding Evolution is yet another resource for people who want to understand what evolution actually is, instead of what loudmouth IDiots falsely make it out to be. ID has its place: in church. Just like Pastafarianism has its place as a silly joke on the web. Don't allow Creationism under any alias to be allowed in the science classroom.

Critics of evolution are even trying to supress scientific evidence of evolution. But just because they want to ignore and supress the facts doesn't make them go away.

On a lighter note: The Dino and the Pirate Should Be Friends. If you need swag, check out Ring of Fire's FSM Poducts. I want a Jolly Pirate Fish Flag and a pin for my fanbag. The Seattle Times has pirate coverage. Arr! Ramen.

On to other things...

There's been a flap in the comics blogosphere about a person who didn't want someone to link to him, based on a previous feud. If you want to read the dirty details, Journalista has some juicy linkage. However... I've met the guy in question, and while I didn't spend much time with him, I thought he was a pretty nice dude. So while everyone else eviscerates him, I'll just say I'm flummoxed about the issue and surprised that it got so over-the-top so quickly. I think he reacted very badly to an uncomfortable situation, and in doing so managed to make it much, much worse. As a person with a nasty temper who often writes stuff she regrets, I can empathize a little with the poor guy.

For the record, here's my linking policy: I can't stop you from linking to me. I may say stupid stuff. If I truly regret what I posted, I may even delete it. But I can't stop you from fair-use quoting and linking. If I'm really upset, I may try to e-mail you to ask you (politely, I hope) to desist, but I'm not gonna pull in lawyers or legal threats or any of that other garbage. I'm well aware that once I've put something on the web, it's out there for everyone to see. The only exception is my LJ friends page. If I mark something as friends only, I don't want people to spread it around. Since that's pretty rare for me, it's generally not going to be a problem.

As for the last bit of internet sharing: I absolutely do NOT give anyone permission to post e-mails from me, either private e-mails or list e-mails. It's the height of internet rudeness to pass on something from a private e-mail or a closed mailing list to someone else. If you want to post or forward my e-mails, ask me first. Of course, I'm well aware that I cannot stop you, nor do I really have any legal recourse if you decide to be rude. But I'll tell you this... something I posted to one private closed e-mail list was reposted to another list without my knowledge or permission. That note led to several years of on-line stalking and harrassment from a member of that other list. I don't forgive people who break the e-mail rule. (Note: I'm ranting about this right now because of an unrelated incident. Forgive me for including it.)

Right...

Let's move on to some regular linking now that I've got that off my chest...

Boing Boing on how likely you are to die from a terrorist attack, versus other things like the flu, a hernia, or drowning.

Diebold Voting Machines can be opened with a commonly available key. Yeah, real secure.

Self-Link: New Fish.

My guilty pleasure Ghost Hunters is going to start airing a new season on October 11th. In addition, one of the episodes is titled "OK Corral". Hmmmm.

Don't forget to check out The Vondish Ambassador, a new book being posted on-line (temporarily, until the first draft is finished) by author Lawrence Watt-Evans. For the history of his e-book efforts, check out The Spriggan Mirror.

Big Brother Is Watching You.

Hubby-Eric and I have tickets to see Wicked on Thursday. I intend to wear the Dorothy pendant I bought at the Emerald City Comicon to the show. Yup, I'm going to try to dress up a little.

Speaking of Dorothy, I have a couple of Dorothy bookmarks I got from them at the con, which have somehow gravitated to the top of my bookmark piles and are being used in every book I've checked out from the library recently. I can't read any book around here without being reminded of the Dorothy comic! For folks who are heavy readers, like me, bookmarks are a brilliant giveaway idea.

Eric Shanower has posted Part 3 of his adventures in Troy. This one chronicles his meetings with security guards Ibrahim and Sedat, e-mail from Troy, his sojourn on Tenedos (including bicycling and water snakes), and his thoughts on Oz versus Troy. If you haven't read the first two parts yet, Start Here.

I think I want one. Probably the cat. I could've used one the other day when I had a nasty headache. Via Cute Overload.

0 comments: