Saturday, October 06, 2007

Thank Goodness for AAA redux

I had a long day at work today, working for my store at the Northwest Brickcon. I don't do well with crowds, but I managed. I was tired, hurting, and all I wanted to do was get home and run a hot bath and eat dinner and go to bed.

The van got me just past Lake Forest Park, almost into Kenmore. It died while I was driving down the road. No warning. No indications. It just died. I managed to steer over into the bus lane, and tried to start it again. The engine turned over, but wouldn't start. I put on my emergency lights. I tried for a couple of minutes, then pulled out the cell and called AAA.

I sat there, watching the cars zip by at extreme speeds, and began to feel extremely tired and cranky. I got out of my van for a moment by sliding over to the passenger side and getting out where it was somewhat safe. I popped the hood and lifted it.

Breakdown

The blur in the background is a car zooming into the shot.

After getting out of the car I realized I felt considerably safer out of the car, although colder. I stood for a moment in indecision, then a cop pulled up. He was friendly, but he took my license and went to do the usual checks, I'm sure. I told him about AAA sending a truck, he said he'd wait until the truck arrived unless he was sent on another call. With his patrol car behind the van blocking me from the oncoming traffic, I felt safer inside my van.

I noticed that the cars were now passing me at a much slower pace.

Eventually the truck arrived and I got towed to a nearby shop, which was of course closed. We dropped the van off in front of the shop, hoping that it wouldn't get in trouble. The area we parked it in was marked No Parking Mon-Sat 8am to 4pm. Unfortunately, I don't think the shop is open tomorrow. We may have a problem with it needing to be moved early.

In any case, I'm now at home. I want desperately to rest for a very long time. But I have to go back to work tomorrow. We're down to one car again.

I was just beginning to feel good again. It seems I'm not allowed to feel good.

0 comments: