Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ego Feeding Time at the Blog

I've added one of Blogspot's less useful "features" to my blog. I don't know how long it will remain, because it's a clumsy and poor implementation of a what actually is a pretty good idea. If you have Javascript enabled (which, in general, you shouldn't), you should be able to see a check box at the bottom of each of my posts with the words "Feed My Ego: Click if you appreciated this blog entry." followed by a number in parenthesis.

This is my version of the "Reaction Button" that Blogger added to their blogs a few years ago. I wanted a "Like" button, but didn't want to link to Facebook to get it. So I took the reactions, which are actually designed to allow you to have multiple reactions to an entry, and just put one option instead of 3 or 4 in.

Again, I'm not sure if it will remain on my blog for very long. It doesn't look great, and there's no way to customize it. The counts are a little too easy to reset. And it's javascript, which is blocked by most responsible web browsers anymore. If I find a better way to do this, I'll probably use it. In the meantime, feel free to click it and see what happens.

0 comments: