Thursday, October 24, 2002

Good Morning!

I've found the surefire way to wake myself up once the alarm rings and I've hit the snooze. If I can just reach the TV remote and turn on the morning news, I'll be awake in five minutes whether I like it or not.

This morning's news involved the DC Sniper (I like the nickname someone came up with: The DC Coward) and his connections to Washington State. Apparently he trained at Fort Lewis and lived in Tacoma. Forensic evidence was gathered from his old Tacoma home, including bullets embedded in trees on the property. Of course, it's still early in the story so the newsfolk may have gotten some facts wrong in their rush to tell the tale.

In any case, waking up is a self-defense mechanism. The sooner I'm awake, the sooner the news goes off and I can get back into my blissful fantasy world. Funny thing to say, I know, but how else to stay sane in such an insane world?

Ah well. I do pay attention to the news, but TV news is so... flashy. It tries too hard to sell the program, so it comes off, in my opinion, as extremely insensitive.

Ok, time to get going... lots to do before I get to work this morning (lots more to do once I get to work!). But first, some unfinished business:

Rapid Reviews Continued


Finished the comics last night before drifting off to sleep, so here's the story:

Green Arrow Secret Files #1: Yeah, seeing Scott in print really made the book for me, but it was also a pretty darn good book too. That last page is classic. The price is a downer, but this was definitely one of the best Secret Files DC has put out... 4 1/2 starfish.

Birds of Prey #48: What is with the artwork? I really don't like it. It doesn't fit the story well, and kept pushing me out of my suspension of disbelief. The writing was fine, but the art definitely ruined the tale for me. 2 starfish.

Supergirl #75: Ah, a fresh new start! The events of the last billion issues are quickly explained (for new readers, old readers already know what happened) and a new source of frustration for Linda is introduced. All-in-all, a good Peter David tale. If anything, this is a lot more straightforward than most of his books. 4 starfish.

Next week's tentative list: Lone Wolf and Cub, Usagi Yojimbo, Batman: Gotham Adventures, Gotham Girls, Titans, Avengers, and Ruse.